Thread: Pictures of Harry Brooks

Thanks

Default Pictures of Harry Brooks

Can anyone help with this (I have suggested RAF Museum & IWM)

David Colin Young said you might be able to help me in my quest ....! I've been desperately trying to find a photo of my Dad whilst in Bomber Command and all attempts in doing so have failed. I've contacted 10 Squadron and advertised in their newsletter (nil response) and approached the RAF museum who only have a photo of 10 Squadron navigators. Do you have any tips/pointers/suggestions? David said you are a member on a WW2 forum and might be able to help. My Dad's details are:

Thomas McKnight Ferguson
    Service No: 2222940
    10 Squadron flying Halifaxes based at RAF Melbourne, Yorkshire
    Flight Sergeant - Mid Upper Gunner
    DOB: 04.04.1924 - 06.01.2008
    Date of service: 6th December 1943 - 15th February 1946

He was the only surviving member of his crew up until he died 4 years ago. His other crew members were:

Pilot: Albert Beer
    Bomb Aimer: Harry Brooks
    Navigator: Stanley Hobbs
    Engineer: ???
    Wireless Operator: John E Rhodes
    Rear Gunner: Jimmy McKay

Any clues in how I might obtain a photo? Even a group crew or squadron one, perhaps under a Halifax would be amazing! I've no idea where my dad would have done his training and whether any photos would have been taken upon completion of their training?

Thanks

As 10 Sqn was at Melbourne, the Yorkshire Air Museum may have something

Malcolm

Thanks

A few years ago there was an organisation called "57 Rescue" who had amassed a sizeable collection of Halifax photos and had them all databased. I think that 57 rescue themselves have long since ceased to exist, but their forum does still seem to be live at: -

http://www.network54.com/Forum/261665/

It may be worth posting on there if you haven't already done so.

Regarding photo archives at places like the NA, Hendon, IWM etc., I have often found that you need to broaden your search criteria significantly, and then spend a long time trawling through an awful lot of photos, to find what you are looking for. I've found 100 Squadron photos turn up in archives having been indexed under the most bizarre descriptions. For example, I can almost guarantee that Hendon will have plenty more photos involving 10 Squadron than the one of just the Navs, it's just that they wont have them indexed as "10 Squadron" - there'll be plenty indexed purely as "Halifax" I bet!!

I spent, like you, years looking for a photo of my Grandad's crew, as he had always told me he didn't have one. I found it one day - in the old bugger's photo album in his bedroom!! We had words I can assure you ;-)

Good luck :-)
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Default 10 Sqn Pictures

Thanks gentlemen Cathy is chuffed with what you have replied with and is going to go and have a look and see what they have...
    Dee :)