Thread: RAF Research Hendon

Thanks

Default RAF Research Hendon

Guys,

Can l just say, for the first time, having spent a day at RAF Hendon searching through their records, what a great bunch of people they are.

There is a large amount on information here which l think is largely untouched, but the guys have a real interest, well done.

Can l encourage you all to use the facility and give generously. I am sure they need the support.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

I have never visited but I have e-mailed them on a number of occasions and I wholeheartedly agree that they are extremely helpful.
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

I agree with chaps - very useful if you need information from Aircraft Movement Cards, Flying Accident Cards or maps of airfields. The personnel is very helpful.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Default DORIS Hendon

Hi all,

I agree wholeheartedly.
    I was there last week to carry out some research and they were extremely obliging.
    Well done to all at Hendon.
    Gerry

Thanks

Nick
    I was at RAF Hendon Museum in 2006 and was able to step over the "no entry " cord and look up indside the Liberator they have on display , next to a mighty Lancaster .This was arranged by the curator at Brooklands Museum in Weybridge, Surrey whom I had contacted .He arranged for me be shown through a Wellington.

He then contacted a man at RAF Hendon who helped me see inside the Lib , through the bomb bay area [though not to actually go inside it]
    In my experience very helpful and interested staff at Hendon ,as also at Brooklands .

Also a good cafe at Hendon !!

Anne

Thanks

Oh how I would love to sit in the tail of a Wellington - dream on!
    An American airman, was told at Briefing to ‘Go in at 30,000 feet and keep out of the flak.”
    “If I go in a 20,000 feet, what will happen?’ asked the airman.
    “You’ll probably be mentioned in despatches”, answered the officer.
    “If I go in at 10,000 feet ?“ he asked.
    “In that case you will probably get the Congress Medal”, he was told.
    "And if I go in at 5,000 feet?’ he inquired excitedly.
    “Don’t be a fool, man”, replied his superior, “you’ll go and bump into the R.A.F. at that height.”