Thread: ORB 166 Sqn Jan - Jun 1944

Thanks

Default ORB 166 Sqn Jan - Jun 1944

Hi,
    does anybody have a copy of the ORB for 166 sqn covering the period Jan to June 1944, I am trying to confirm the operations that Sgt CE mayne flew on before his was KIA on 3rd June 1944? I beleive his main pilot for most of the (20+) Ops was P/O G D Jones, a Canadian.

Thanks in advance,
    Rick

Thanks

Hello Rick ,the Jones crew joined 166 on 1st Feb 44 and flew 24 ops including their last one.Ive sent you a PM about the ORB. P/O Jones 574179 was a Brit not a Canadian.A popular crew,it was a big shock to the squadron when they went missing so near the end of their tour and on a French target so near home. Cheers B

Thanks

Hello

As Barnsley put it, JONES was a member of the R.A.F. (V.R.), so most probably not a Canadian who had joined the R.A.F. Incidentally, the CWGC registers gives his parents' names, but not the place they were living in when the registers were compiled (late 40es) : http://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead/casualty/2280132/JONES,%20GEOFFREY%20DAVID

There were two R.C.A.F. members in the crew, F/O R.D. CRONE, and F/O C.H. NEVILLE, respectively navigator and bomb aimer.

Do you have any other information / picture of C.E. MAYNE ? I can provide a picture of his grave if you'd like one. drop me a pm or an e-mail (my contact details are in my profile)

Joss

Thanks

Thanks for the input Guys, much appreicated,
    Rick