Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAF Service Records.

Thanks

Default RAF Service Records.

I understand that the personnel service records held at Innsworth have now moved, would someone please have the new contact address?

Regards
    Peter.

Eddie Fell Guest

Hi Peter

Enquiries

From former Service Personnel

RAF DPA SAR Section
    Room 220
    Trenchard Hall
    RAF Cranwell
    Sleaford
    LINCS
    NG34 8HB

01400 261201
    Ext 8175
    Ext 8172
    Ext 8173

From family members and other authorized persons

RAF Disclosures Section
    Room 221b
    Trenchard Hall
    RAF Cranwell
    Sleaford
    LINCS
    NG34 8HB

01400 261201
    Ext 6711
    Ext 8161/8159 (Officers)
    Ext 8163/8168/8170 (Other ranks)

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

I have answered this before somewhere, on another forum. Seemingly you can download a form from RAF Cranwell. On scrolling down and reading through all the bumff you send the form to ... RAF Innsworth! It just seems like a pointless exercise in bureaucratic twaddle.

Best Wishes.
    Robert.

Thanks

Many thanks guys for the top info as always, most appreciated

Regards
    Peter.

Thanks

I see from todays Daily Telegraph that The Queen's Flight (as I knew it) is to be axed. OK, it may be - in these days - that it no longer serves the purpose for which it was set up (I am just priviledged to have been associated with TQF in its Benson days. A bit of a Private Air Force - but they were Experts!).
    If MoD wishes to save a bit more money then why not transfer ALL the historical data held by the RAF, AHB, etc, etc. to the National Archives (which is where it should be anyway). Or would the consquent loss of jobs be in the Constituencies of one Party (or another)?
    Canada and Australia have gone down this road, and what they have done has made the jobs of researchers that much easier.
    If what I suggest were ever to take place then, possibly, the operations of TNA may also need to be overhauled - much, much, more stuff actually digitised and on-line.
    What do you all think?
    Rgds
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 27th March 2008 at 17:50. Reason: Typo - as usual!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Default Historical research and NAs

I couldn't agree more Peter! If you compare the ease-of-use and options available between the Australian national archives and our own, they put us to shame! I spent some time the other evening searching for references for some ORBs at Kew. I eventually managed to put in a request for an estimate of costs for a digital download, but just the estimate is going to take 10 working days.
    Regards
    Max
    Last edited by Galgos; 27th March 2008 at 20:47. Reason: Resolving, hopefully, potential ambiguity!

Thanks

I agree with that. When I tried the Australian Archives a year or so ago, they were free and gave an excellent service. i'm not sure but I think they make a charge now.

Best Wishes.
    Robert.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by northeagle View Post
    I agree with that. When I tried the Australian Archives a year or so ago, they were free and gave an excellent service. i'm not sure but I think they make a charge now.

Best Wishes.
    Robert.
    The Australians now charge a fee if you request a file to be digitised, but they have an on-going policy of digitising all their files over a period of time so eventually all records will be available on-line for free including MRES casualty reports which we can't access at all over here.
    Max

Thanks

Hi Max.....I know it was a first class service. I must have caught them at the right time to get it free. At least if they are putting it online in the future thats a good thing. Pity they can't do that here.

Best Wishes.
    Robert.

Thanks

Whilst in general I sympathise and agree, I think the logistics would prove an absolute nightmare.

For a start you are thinking within a very small box, your own particular interest in aviation matters, but there are many others who use the facilities of the National Archives, which leads one to ask who has the greatest need? The NA contains over 10,000,000 FILES, and whilst the contents of some are very small, sometimes just a single entry, others are huge. Huge, but quite often the documents therein are so mundane (routine requests for this or that piece of equipment), that their digitisation would be a complete waste of effort.

Not only that, but the file titles can be very misleading; for example AIR1/1121/204/5/2072, is titled "Kite balloons for meteorological purposes". Sounds great if you are researching this subject for WW1, but all it contains are demands for gold beater patches to repair tears in balloon fabric!

So, your first problem is to decide if a file is worth digitising; and then which series of files take precedent, those relating to RAF matters, or Army matters etc. As I said, a logistical nightmare. And then there's the little matter of cost; the NA staff are already stretched to provide existing facilities, as anyone who orders documents by email will confirm - it can often take two months from an initial resquest for an estimate to receiving copied data.

That is just a very brief summary, no doubt a book could be written on the subject, but it is not such a simple matter as Peter would suggest. It is something that would take many years to complete and, to be frank, it is unlikely to be anything we will see in our lifetime.

Brian