Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RAF Service Records.

Thanks

Default A lesson from T5?

So we shouldn't TRY to do what the Aussies ARE doing then???? Maybe after Terminal 5 you're right Brian :(
    Max

Thanks

I didn't say we shouldn't try, Max, simply that just saying 'This should be done' fails to take account of what is a very complex problem. It would certainly be labour intensive - have you seen the variation in the size of the documents held in individual files - and I hate to think of the cost.

ORBs are some of the easier documrents to copy, probably the reason many are on microfilm, and lend themselves to being digitised, but that is only part of the problem.

In any research the ORBs are only a small part of the evidence, Bomber Command operations being a case in point, and whether one likes it or not, it is a massive task that would require considerable planning.

I think there's something else to consider too. If you request a file when visiting the NA you are often presented with a box that contains not only the file you THINK you want, but several others - quite often it is amongst the 'others' that you find invaluable additional information.

A case in point. I was in the Met Office Archives yesterday, and had requested a particular file. The box-file in which the document was kept actually contained a number of files, one of which turned out to have invaluable information that shed a completely new light on the person I was researching. I wouldn't have considered looking at this file in normal circumstances as it had no bearing on my subject.

So yes, cetainly aim for improvements, but don't expect it to be the solution to all problems.

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 28th March 2008 at 10:33. Reason: Additional thoughts

Thanks

I understand that the NA is soon to charge parking fees (its free at the moment). There is also a possible hike in copying charges. Maybe that money will go towards digitisation?