Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 199 Squadron

Thanks

Default 199 Squadron

I am doing research on my family and was hoping, maybe some one could help me with information about my fathers RAF service record. He was a rear gunner in a Stirling that crashed near Lakenheath Village on return in 1944. I don't think anybody was killed but it would be interesting to know more detail. Thank you Lesley

Thanks

Default 199 Sqn

Hi Lesley, welcome to the forum.

Do you have a date for the crash? And what is/was your father's name please? That should get us started.

Regards

Ian

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ianh View Post
    Hi Lesley, welcome to the forum.

Do you have a date for the crash? And what is/was your father's name please? That should get us started.

Regards

Ian
    Hi Ian
    Thanks for such a fast reply. My dad was Sergeant Harold Trezise date of crash not sure could be 9-10-04-44
    Lesley

Thanks

Default 199 Squadron

Hi Lesley,

I have managed to get the following information from the 199 Squadron Operational Record Books (ORB) -Record of events for April 1944:

“9th April 1944 – Stirling Mk.111 EF138 – coded Y. took off at 22.00 hours on the 9th on a “Special Mission” – Starboard outer engine failed on approach, aircraft crash landed at 07.00hours on the 10th.

Crew:

P/O R.L. Cutler – Pilot
    F/Sgt. S.T. Dancer – Nav
    Sgt. G.O. Green – Nav
    Sgt. G. A. Tilley – W/Air
    F/Sgt. Hughes RCAF – A/B
    Sgt. D.H. Smith – M/U
    Sgt. H. Trezise – R/O
    Sgt. J.E. Williams – F/E

All crew miraculously survived.”

Hope this helps in your family research

Regards,

Stevie
    Last edited by Stevie; 23rd June 2012 at 20:36.

Thanks

Default 199 Squadron

Hi Stevie
    This is fantastic, thank you so much for this information. If there is anybody who has pictures of this crew that would be great. I have a picture of my dad in uniform but he would never talk about the war to me when I was young so it is so good to find information out now.
    Thanks again Lesley
    I will post the pics I have at a later date

Thanks

Default 199 Squadron

Hi Lesley,

Glad it was helpful. If you wish I can email you the relevant pages from the ORB.

Regards,

Stevie

Thanks

Default 199 squadron

Hi Steve
    That would be really appreciated thanks. My e-mail address is lesleyleah09@sky.com
    I am so impressed with the quick response I have received from this forum. I have been searching for quite a while for details of my dad's service record without having to go through the expense and rigmarole of getting it from the RAF Personnel Management Agency.
    Thanks again
    lesley

Thanks

Default 199 Squadron

Hi Lesley,

The details from the ORB would not be on your Father's Service record, so his service file would still be very useful for you in getting his full service history. I will scan the pages and email them, may be tomorrow before you get them.

Regards,

Stevie

Thanks

Lesley

I have the 199 ORB so if you want me to have a look through the relevant pages for you if Stevie has not already done so, let me know.

Douglas
    Last edited by Theletterwriter; 24th June 2012 at 12:19. Reason: spelling mistake

Thanks

Default 199 Squadron

Quote Originally Posted by Theletterwriter View Post
    Lesley

I have the 199 ORB so if you want me to have a look through the relevant pages for you if Stevie has not already done so, let me know.

Douglas
    Hi Douglas
    Thanks for your reply. Stevie has checked the ORB and given me some very interesting information about my Dad, now I want to find out even more about his war years.
    Lesley