Thread: Pilot Officer Keith SHAW RNZAF

Thanks

Default Pilot Officer Keith SHAW RNZAF

Gents,

Looking for a photograph of Pilot Officer Keith Fred SHAW, 415815 RNZAF
    Age 23 of Invercargill, South Island, New Zealand.

I have Errol's excellent books, but need a photograph if possible.

Kind regards

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Steve,

There is a small portrait type image of him in New Zealand's 'Weekly News' of 29 Dec 43, page 20. The Air Force Museum of New Zealand hold a wartime set of the News and could provide a scan for you for a small fee. They may also have a better quality image of him as part of a course photo when he was at:

RNZAF Levin/ITW as Airman Pilot u/t 19 Oct 41 or
    1EFTS 29 Nov 41 or
    1SFTS 10 Jan 42

(posting in dates given)

You can contact the museum at info@airforcemuseum.co.nz

Errol

Thanks

Hi Errol,

Thank you for the heads-up, I will give them a try, I thought I would try the forums first, I know how busy they are.

Regards

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

I do have a Museum photo for you. Errol beat me to it in answering you, he is too quick for me.

If you have trouble getting it, just let me know at awarculus@xtra.co.nz

Digger

Thanks

Hi Digger,

Thank you kindly, a rather nice fellow in Holland sent a copy.

Thanks again mate.

Smudger
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Default Pilot Officer Keith Shaw RNZAF

I was interested to see that you are wanting a photo of Pilot Officer Keith Shaw. My mother Hazel Patterson aged 91 years is the war widow of the above mentioned Keith Shaw.
    Would love to hear from anyone who has any information about Keith's experiences prior to his death in 1943.

Regards
    Gaynor Aicken
    Invercargill
    New Zealand

Thanks

Gaynor,

From my 'For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 (Volume Two: Fates 1943-1998)':

Sun 3/Mon 4 Oct 1943
    BOMBER COMMAND

Raid on Kassel, Germany (by 547 aircraft - 28 lost)
    623 Squadron, RAF (Downham Market, Norfolk - 3 Group)
    Stirling III EF158/S - took off at 1847 and shot down by a night-fighter over the target area, exploding in mid-air and falling into woods some 7km east of Kassel. The two air gunners taken prisoner were the only survivors, one of whom was Flt Sgt R J Buckham, RNZAF. Their six comrades have no known graves and are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.
    Captain: NZ415815 Plt Off Keith Fred SHAW, RNZAF - Age 23. 635hrs. 23rd op.
    Navigator: NZ421676 Plt Off Frank Ian CALVERT, RNZAF - Age 27. 374hrs. 23rd op.
    Shaw had previously survived being torpedoed while crossing the Atlantic in the Waiwera en route to Britain on 29 June 1942. He was lost on his 13th op with 623 Sqn, his others having been flown with 218 Sqn, RAF.
    Calvert had also served with 218 Sqn, but his number of ops flown with each unit is unknown.

And Vol Three (Biographies & Appendices):

Amendment: SHAW & CALVERT – crashed in woods near Windhausen, 7km east of Kassel.

Biography:

SHAW, Pilot Officer Keith Fred.
    NZ415815; b In'gill 30 Nov 19; S'land TColl, In'gill (1st XV); stereotyper - Southland Times, In'gill. RNZAF Levin/ITW as Airman Pilot u/t 19 Oct 41, 1EFTS 29 Nov 41, 1SFTS 10 Jan 42, Pilots Badge [wef 18.3.42] & Sgt 24 Apr 42, att RAF & emb for UK 27 May 42, torpedoed in Atlantic by U-754 29 Jun 42, rescued by Norwegian Oregon Express 4 Jul 42, arr New York 10 Jul 42, [att RCAF?], by rail to 5 M Depôt c.20 Jul 42, att RAF & emb for UK 21 Aug 42, 3PRC 2 Sep 42, 11(P)AFU 22 Sep 42 [att 1524BATF 24-c.30 Nov], 2FIS 25 Nov 42, 11OTU (Wellington) 2 Mar 43, 1651HCU (Stirling) 21 May 43, 218 Sqn (Stirling - 10 ops) 19 Jun 43, Comm 7 Aug 43, 623 Sqn (Stirling - 13 ops) 10 Aug 43, kao 3 Oct 43. Runnymede Memorial - Panel 198. Son of Fred Bernard & Catherine Helen Shaw (née Miller), In'gill; h of Hazel Doreen Shaw (née Stenton) & f of 1s, In'gill. [phot. TWN 29.12.43].

And Appendix 'Airmen Sailing to War':

27 May 42 Waiwera Auckland-UK via PC, but torpedoed while transiting the Atlantic on 29 Jun by U-754, and sunk with the loss of 8 of the 105 on board. All Air Force personnel travelling from NZ survived, however, some with injuries, and were amongst those picked up by the Norwegian Oregon Express on 4 Jul. Disembarking at New York on the 10th, they then entrained for Canada to convalesce. Most of the party later crossed the Atlantic on the Strathmore, arr at Greenock on 31 Aug.
    RNZAF for att to RAF: 15 Pilots – died: Bluck, N B; Chandler, J L; Humphreys, N R S; Marshall, R A; Rollett, N C; Shaw, K F; (6) – survived: Brickell, R H; Devereaux, J R R; Hannigan, D G; Hughes, C F P; O'Halloran, B S; Ritchie, B J; Tate, A F; Wood, C E B; Young, B E; (9).
    RAF rtg to UK: 1 Engineer Officer – survived: New, F J; (1).
    1 Rigger (Metal) – survived: Gribbin, J A; (1).

If you have not already done so you should request a free copy of Keith's RNZAF service record from Personnel Archives, New Zealand Defence Force, Trentham. See here for further details:
    http://www.nzdf.mil.nz/personnel-records/nzdf-archives/

Errol

Thanks

Errol

Thank you so much for the information on Keith Shaw which is greatly appreciated. When Keith was killed my mother Hazel was left with a 12 month old son Robin Keith Shaw. Unfortunately Robin died in Vancouver Canada in 2003. It is sad that Robin had very limited information on his father's war time experiences. It was only a few years ago that my mother found out the names of the crew that were with Keith at the time of his death.
    Once again thank you for your help.

Gaynor

Thanks

Gaynor -

I assume you've seen the references in "Night After Night" to Keith Shaw.

Best wishes - Max Lambert

Thanks

Hi Max

Our family have several copies of "Night After Night" and cannot speak highly enough of this wonderful book. I know that my mother and myself have shed many tears while reading about the lives of so many brave young New Zealanders who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Reading this book enabled my mother to find out so much more about the last hours of Keiths life.

Regards
    Gaynor