Thread: RAF Hunsdon Roll of Honour Memorial

Thanks

Default RAF Hunsdon Roll of Honour Memorial

Hello all,

Over the last couple of years most of my posts on the forum have been requesting information on airmen who died while flying from or serving at RAF Hunsdon.
    Your help has been invaluable in helping me compile the names of those airmen for which I thank you. I arrived at a total of 126, and now they have been commemorated on a new memorial built by the Hertfordshire Airfields Memorial Group which was unveiled and dedicated on Saturday 23rd June.
    Many relatives of the airmen were among the 250 or so people who attended.
    Some photos of the day can be seen here - http://hamg.co.uk/Roll-of-Honour-Memorial-Day.php

Jim.
    Hertfordshire Airfields Memorial Group - www.hamg.co.uk

Thanks

Jim,

Congratulations to you and all those involved. It's a wonderful achievement, and fabulous to see another memorial with the names of airmen commemorated for people now and in the future to read and remember.

Very well done,
    Linzee

Thanks

Thank you Linzee.

Thanks

I'm still interested in Gilbertson-Pritchard, who went down off Lowestoft on 31 Mar 1945. What your research turned up about his pre-154 Sqn Lanc pilot history was a real eye-opener. The memorial is a magnificent monument to the 126 including G-P who gave their all. Well done indeed.

BC

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    I'm still interested in Gilbertson-Pritchard, who went down off Lowestoft on 31 Mar 1945. What your research turned up about his pre-154 Sqn Lanc pilot history was a real eye-opener. The memorial is a magnificent monument to the 126 including G-P who gave their all. Well done indeed.

BC
    John Clare Gilbertson-Pritchard >> from 1678 Conv. Flight posted to 514 Squadron RAF (Bomber Command, Avro Lancaster A/C) 04/02/1944.
    - 4 Ops,
    - 1 as 2nd pilot 24/25-févr-1944 Lancaster II DS816 JI-O Ops Schweinfurt
    - 3 as pilot
    01-mars-1944 02-mars-1944 Lancaster II LL683 JI-P Ops Stuttgart
    15-mars-1944 16-mars-1944 Lancaster II LL734 JI-S Ops Stuttgart
    18-mars-1944 19-mars-1944 Lancaster II DS822 JI-T Ops Frankfurt

Thanks

pinuche0706, many thanks for this info. This is quite a fascinating topic as there has been a query from Steve Smith on this very forum about an ex-fighter pilot who converted to bombers and this man did the opposite! His loss off Lowestoft in a 154 Sqn RAF Mustang has intrigued me for many years (up until 1986 I was sure the 'Mustang' had been a USAAF P-51), and the info on his time with 514 Sqn with Lanc IIs all helps to draw a bigger picture. Do you have any record of where he went from 514?
    Many thanks for posting.

Bob C

Thanks

BC1 (John Clare Gilbertson-Pritchard)
    I only know he was transfered to No.33 Base (N.E. Strength) on 19 April 1944
    From site http://www.rafweb.org/Organsation/Bases.htm
    "No 33 Base - Waterbeach
    This was formed on 12 August 1943 at Waterbeach, being numbered No 33 on 16 September 1943 and disbanded on 1 September 1945. It controlled the stations at Waterbeach (25 Aug 1943 - 1 Sep 1945; No 1651 HCU, No 1678 HC Flt and No 514 Sqn), Mepal (25 Aug 1943 - 1 Sep 1945; No 75 Sqn), Witchford (25 Aug 1943 - 1 Sep 1945; Nos 196, 513, 115 and 195 Sqns)."

You will find some detail and photo of Gilbertson-Pritchard in the following story of one of his crewmates http://freespace.virgin.net/tracy.triumph/

Thanks

Hello Jim

Thank you for your efforts.

When I was researching August 1940 I recall in PRO AIR files many years ago that the Air Force were already operating fighters from a place called RAF Hunsdon and others, but I never did find the 1940 Hunsdon Station ORB in AIR 28, which makes it even harder for projects like yours and researchers in general.

A check of TNA Discovery indicates the Station ORB is still missing until March 1941.

Regards Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 16th June 2015 at 09:13.

Thanks

Hello Mark,

Work started on the construction of RAF Hunsdon on the 9th of October 1940, and it became operational on the 3rd May 1941. The first ORB entry is 26 March 1941.
    Maybe you were thinking of a similar sounding airfield?

Jim

Thanks

pinuche0706 TVM again for the excellent info on J C G-P. I have had a Police report on the crash off the 'Mustang' off Lowestoft since the 70s, and right up until 1986 I was searching unsuccessfully for a USAAF P-51 to match. It was only the AB list of RAF Mustang serials which gave me a breakthrough, that and the fantastic amount of pen and ink work indexing the Runnymede Memorial names in Sqn No order by the late Val Grimble and finally linking Gilbertson-Pritchard to this incident. There was a name on a glove found at the scene. That name tallied with the name of a man who flew Spitfires and Mustangs with 154 Sqn and who had written an article in a historic aviation periodical. I contacted the Sqn Assn and thence that person, who was adamant the glove was not his. Shortly afterwards another 154 Sqn pilot told me of the person: "He was a nice enough chap, but he was always hard up. One of the first things he did when he joined us was flog off some of his flying kit...."