Thread: RAF Pomigliano 1945/46

Thanks

Default RAF Pomigliano 1945/46

Would anyone happen to have the Station ORB for RAF Pomigliano (AIR 28/625)? The period I am particularly interested in is the end of 1945 through to April 1946.

I am trying ascertain whether some airmen were based there, as I have a group photo dated April 1946. I haven’t been able to establish, yet, if this was a crew visiting the station or based there.

The names are F/O Grinrod*, F/Lt Lister, W/O Turner, F/O Shepard and Sgt Dodsworth.

*I think this a spelling mistake as I haven’t found a Grinrod in the London Gazette or the Air Force Lists (I have also checked in the Canadian Gazette and the Australian Nominal Roll). But I did find some Grindrods, of which the most likely candidate is Joseph Grindrod (Flight Engineer).

My actual interest is in Frank Dodsworth (1594414) (Signaller), but as his records are currently unavailable to us, I have been trying to find any snippets of info on his flying career going by a few scant photos (without much luck). So if this name means anything to you too, then I would love to hear from you.

Thank you.

Addendum: I forgot to mention that I have already looked at the 293 Squadron ORB. I haven't been able to find No 1 Lancaster Finishing School's yet.
    Last edited by Sheldonesque; 26th June 2012 at 09:17.

Thanks

This may be of help (if you haven't already got it and if this is your man):

140 - Dodsworth, Frank - Sergeant RCAF (PH002163)

- Aug/44, p.1 – “Frank Dodsworth is back at Three Rivers after graduating as a Sergeant, Air Crew.”

- Dec/44, p.2 – “Quite a number of discharges lately, mostly Air Force, who have been returned to Civvy Street, but are subject to recall in six months. These include Frank Dodsworth.”

Source: http://www.powellrivermuseum.ca/aros/SM-Da-Do.html

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Thank you for looking, Pete. Unfortunately, this isn't my Dodsworth, who was definately RAF.

Thank you.

Thanks

Default RAF Pomigliano 1945/46 Frank Dodsworth.

Frank Dodsworth my cousin died 1997/8 in Sunderland and is the person you were seeking. I too have a photo with the names back row; f/s Howes, f/s Dommet, f/s Swinock, Frank, LAC Johnson, front row; f/o Grinrod, f/lt Lister, w/o Turner and f/o shepard, dated Pomigliano April 1946, they are pictured at the rear off side of a single decked bus. Frank's wife is in poor health and her memory has gone, all she remembers of the 1940's era is that Franks pilot was a Canadian, she can't find his flight service book and think it unfair to press her in her present state of health, her son is not exactly helpful (disinterested) in his fathers RAF past. Any ideas why his service records are not available? I have no records of his service only a few stories from my brother told to him by Frank when home on leave. Can you confirm he was downed three times? Also that he flew over 70 missions? Have loads of questions and no answers.
    Regards. Malcolm Carruthers.

Thanks

Default Memories of frank dodsworth and raf pomigliano

I was serving in RAF Pomigliano in 1946 and am fairly certain that I knew your cousin Frank Dodsworth. I am absolutely certain that I knew an ex-aircrew bod from Sunderland but I am not sure whether he was called Dodsworth.or Dodds We were both posted to Pomigliano at the same time and travelled overland from the UK in a group of about 15 other redundant aircrew in February 1946. I have two photographs taken on route, Frank and I are on both on them and one is captioned “the guy in front of me is a Geordie from Sunderland.”. What a pity I did not record his name. I should explain that I am from (West) Hartlepool and had a cousin in Sunderland who I visited often.. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, “
    From memory and these pictures, this is the Frank that I knew . Medium build, perhaps 5feet 8 or 9, fresh complexion, clean shaven with a good head of slightly wavy blonde hair. Quiet, cheerful, friendly and likeable. Distinct, but pleasant, Sunderland accent.
    Another clear memory. Frank was either married to, or intended to marry a local girl. I recall sitting in the Sgt’s Mess with the pair of them explaining to his bride/ girlfriend that I lived near them and would possibly visit them and that Sunderland was very different from Pomigliano. And that is the last time that I can recall seeing Frank so I have no idea what happened to him.
    I hope that “my” Frank is “ your” Frank!. Look forward to hearing from you.

Att.of “Sheldonesque”.
    1n 1946 Pomigliano was a Staging Post, handling mainly freight carried usually in Dakota’s. Frank Dodsworth and I were both involved in this activity, he was in charge of the loading squad ( German P.O.W’s) and I was responsible for the Air Freight Section/ Depot. I recall that we had some Mosquito’s based there but can remember little about them except that the crew members were officers and they sometimes flew to the UK. Apart from Frank Dodsworth none of the names on the photograph you mentioned mean anything to me but personnel were changing all the time as demob dates became due and another couple of faces disappeared from the Mess.
    I enjoyed my time atPomigliano, it was a good unit and we lived well. Happy to supply further information before I get too old.