Thread: Edward Brian CHURCHILL 123246 Died 9 Oct 1950

Thanks

Default Edward Brian CHURCHILL 123246 Died 9 Oct 1950

I wonder if anyone coudl advise what might have befallen this officer on 9 Oct 1950?

He is listed on AFM as being with RAF Gosport and there is no listed place of burial.

Same date lists:
    F/lt F T Okely RAF Cranwell - He has a burial place listed
    Sgt R Herd RAF Luneberg he has a burial place listed

probably unconnected.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Flt Lt Churchill was on the strength of the Air Torpedo Development Unit (ATDU).

He was flying to the Scilly Isles from Gosport and his Swordfish aircraft serial NR933 was carrying an experimental torpedo. The aircraft was ditched following an emergency call but there were delays on the Scillies and at Culdrose and Churchill was not recovered.

Don't know anything about Herd or Okely but don't think either was involved in an RAF flying accident.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Thanks Colin, a sad way to go.

I asked as I am only the fruitless case to find a possible officer to fit the bill for a P/O Churchill from 9 (Observer) AFU who made a forced landing with a P/O Jones and P/O Kemp Canadian in Dublin on 29th June 1943.

Looking at the newly available Air Force Lists, the July and September 1943 editions

The only two possible officers, if indeed the rank he gave was correct or if his rank was recorded corectly, seem to be

In July and September 1943 books

E B Churchill 123246, GD Branch P/O, he is in the GD branch as a F/O in the September book.

And maybe though its less likely, there is a K W Churchill, DG, P/O Air Gunner in the September book but I doubt its him.

All others are F/o rank in the earlier book or are Equipment Branch officers.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

I contacted the family and they confirmed indeed that E B Churchill was indeed on the Anson in Ireland in 1943!

if there were to seek information about their fathers loss, where would they best look?

Was the Air Torpedo Development Unit an RAF unit or FAA or joint as such?

Woudl their be a Form 1180 for this or should they contact the FAA museum? I'll mention your book Colin and the Test Pilot memorial book/website. I suppose the Air historical branch also.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default Edward BRIAN Churchill

I always thought that my father was flying from Culdrose when he was lost over the Scillies in 1950. Are you sure it was from Gosport?

Thanks though for all the info and help everybody.

Heather Dopson (Churchill)

Thanks

Default Gosport or Culdrose

From the log book of Edward Brian Churchill, he appears to have flown fom Gosport to Culdrose on the 29 of Sept 1943 and thereafter flights were described as Torp- Scillies 2 flights 3rd October , Culdrose-St Mary's, St Mary's- Culdrose on 5th Oct in an Anson, Torp- Scillies 2 flights 6 Oct and Torp-Scillies in NR933 on 9 October in Swordfish.
    Hope this is of help
    Thank you folks for the other information, I don't suppose there is any further details on his final transmissions or location of final transmision anwhere?
    Thanks
    Alan Churchill Son of EBC

Thanks

Hello heather and Alan,

recevied the pages from your father log book last night.

I wondered if anyone on the forum here might be able to interpret for me the type of flights E B Churchill was undertaking at that time:

These were with 9 (observers) AFU.

Sample fligths and their duty were:
    he was the pilot for all of these.

21st June
    12 x 6000" bombing
    12 x 8000" bombing

23rd June
    W.S.D. ? not sure of the letters to be honest, did two of these that day Woudl that be Wind speed and direction? In what context would that be?

24 june
    The letters seem to be M.I.A. or H.I.C or M.I.C etc
    example H.I.A. 3 x 7000'

he was on one of these MIA, HIC or MiC missions on the day he ended up in Ireland.

Does anyone have the 9 (O) AFU ORB handy I wonder? Imagine he was a staff pilot on that unit.

There are extensive reprots and archvies for the Air Torpedo Development Unit (ATDU) in Kew in the national Archives (TNA). Alan, if you are ever visiting, that would be a good place to start. Search for torpedo developement unit in the new TNA search engine
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dennis, Hi,
    Negative info only I'm afraid!
    Yr query re- 23 Jun - 'W.S.D.'. Never ever come across that trigraph for 'Wind Speed & Direction'!!
    Yr query re- 24 Jun - I think these are types of bombs (no doubt the experts in 'Ironmongery That Goes Bang' will be along soon with the details).
    Rgds
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hugh Haliday gave me some pointers towards possible RCAF P/O rank airmen that might be Kemp. I got the service file for Harold Leon Kemp J25349.
    No clear evidence he was the man in Ireland. He was posted to 9 O AFU on 22nd June 1943 and posted out to Llandwrog on July 3rd. I'll seek family relatives but I doubt they will have anything. H L Kemp was lost on Lancaster ND593 the following year.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com