Thread: Jack Purdy

Thanks

Default Jack Purdy

Was P/O Jack William Thomas Purdy (169567) who was killed with 137 Squadron in February 1944 the same as Sgt Jack Purdy who was with 238 Squadron in February 1942?

John

Thanks

John, nobody seems to want to play with you! But here, for what it's worth, is what I've found.
    The Plt Off Jack W T Purdy (KIA 12 Feb 44 (NKG) with 137 Sqn) seems to have had his Birth (Q1 1918) Reg at Mutford, Suffolk. So that fits with his CWGC NoK. He Enlisted (754633) in the newly invented RAFVR as a Pilot sometime after Jan 1937. He was Commissioned Plt Off (169567) on 16 Aug 43 from Warrant Officer (LG). That’s 6 years from Enlistment to Commissioning. Say, 1 yr to do his Square Bashing and get his “wings”, that’s 1938, which leaves 5 years to go from Sgt to WO. Reasonable?, even taking into account that as a fighter pilot promotions for NCO aircrew were not as rapid as for Commissioned aircrew!
    Now this other Sgt Jack Purdy. If he was still only a Sgt in Feb 1942 then he would have had to get TWO promotions to WO in 18 months to be the same bloke. Not beyond the bounds of possibility – but if he was that good then why was he still only a Sgt in Feb 42?
    All circumstantial evidence, I grant you. Would be interested to know what you find.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 28th June 2012 at 12:13. Reason: Spelling
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default Jack Purdy

Peter, thank you for playing with me!

John