Thread: Raf service!!!!!!!

Thanks

Default Raf service!!!!!!!

Hello all, I do hope that someone out there can assist me in some way! My Grandfather recently died and eventually I have managed to have a good look at all the paperwork etc that is left in situations such as this .
    My Grandfather, John Henry Johnson ( Harry) of Hawthorn Crescent /Cottages, South Hetton ,County Durham, was during the war in the RAF as ground crew tech, so I am led to believe, I have come accross a very clear photograph of him , his RAF sidecap,Bible and a 39/45 medal as well as other small bits and bobs too. At no point when searching can I find a serial number, rank or even a place of birth for him, other than him being a Yorkshire man "born and Bred " as he used to say ! I have been led to believe that he received his call up papers and thet possibly he was based in North Yorkshire maybe the RAF Wombleton area but not at all sure.
    It has unfortunately got to the stage now that his family (daughters and wife) including my parents are all deceased and I feel it isonly right and proper that his wartime exploits are discovered no matter how small a part he contributed, and myself also now rapidly ageing ,feel as if I have a duty both as his last remaining relative and also as part of a generation which has benefited from his and others service during those difficult times.
    I do realise that you all may have heard this before and at the risk of sounding tedious to you all, "Any assistance" would be gratefully received based on the small amount of details I possess to attempt to obtain service details and any other details at all .
    Kindest regards, Adrian P Tait.

Thanks

Hi Adrian,
    I think your first task is to identify your grandfathers date and place of birth. Try
    http://www.freebmd.org.uk
    and search for births. surname, forename (one only) and date range. If you don't know his age then have a guess from likely age at break out of war.
    You can also search for potential marriage in similar way.
    Then I think its on to the relevent MOD department for his service record.
    I wish you every good fortune in your research, it's addictive and very worthwhile.
    Be well,
    Paul

Thanks

The AIR 78 lists of airmen and their service numbers of course has lots of men matching that name, its a common enough name.
    here are the ones given
    536045 F
    945374 F
    955240 F
    958862 F
    1178261 Militia
    1190837 Militia
    1685478 Militia DB

I think all these numbers would be post war numbers, some folks on here can confirm.
    2544222 NSA - Post war
    3127882 NSA - Post war
    4160844 NSA
    4197256 29 July 1957 ?

There are also a few J H Johnsons

Ok, so there weren't that many!

In case that any of those numbers appear somewhere on a docuemnt or in the bible maybe, or the medals or the box they are in.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Adrian,

You need his Record of Service. Although a Service Number is a unique identifier, his civilian address and age at death as shown on his Death Certificate will help.

You say you have a 39/45 medal but not which one. Depending on his service and if exclusively in UK, he might be awarded the Defence Medal and the War Medal. The first has lots of green on the ribbon and the second lots of red and white, although the actual medal will tell you what they are if you have them.

Somewhere there will be a Discharge Certificate.

But IMHO, the Record of Service is the key document.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Default Regarding RAF service.

Quote Originally Posted by paulh View Post
    Hi Adrian,
    I think your first task is to identify your grandfathers date and place of birth. Try
    http://www.freebmd.org.uk
    and search for births. surname, forename (one only) and date range. If you don't know his age then have a guess from likely age at break out of war.
    You can also search for potential marriage in similar way.
    Then I think its on to the relevent MOD department for his service record.
    I wish you every good fortune in your research, it's addictive and very worthwhile.
    Be well,
    Paul
    Hi Paul,
    Thanks for this info, I have managed to get copies of his birth ,death and marriage certificates today so now as you say it is the hunt for the correct dept and address to send details and request to. thanks for the assistance, very much appreciated.
    Kind regards
    Adrian

Thanks

Default re medals

Quote Originally Posted by Oldduffer View Post
    Adrian,

You need his Record of Service. Although a Service Number is a unique identifier, his civilian address and age at death as shown on his Death Certificate will help.

You say you have a 39/45 medal but not which one. Depending on his service and if exclusively in UK, he might be awarded the Defence Medal and the War Medal. The first has lots of green on the ribbon and the second lots of red and white, although the actual medal will tell you what they are if you have them.

Somewhere there will be a Discharge Certificate.

But IMHO, the Record of Service is the key document.

Colin Cummings
    Hi Colin,
    Thanks for the information! I am surrounded by boxes and old biscuit tins at the moment and there is a 39/45 star with 3 coulor ribbon, a defence medal with tatterred green ribbon with thin black stripes either side and what appears to be an orange stripe in the centre and yes there is a war medal with the red,blue and white striping bit no engraving or numbers ???? I have also found a star medal and ribbon which states the air crew europe star with blue ,yellow and black striping, yet again no numbers etc.
    Thanks for the information Colin
    Regards
    Adrian

Thanks

The details of how to get certificates are here:
    http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

They might want you to send his childrens certs as well!
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Cheers Adrian,
    if you can, you can remove the 'quote' of my posting from you last message as its a large duplication of information, fills up the old server, the boss man on hear does ask us not to quote unecessarily.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Adrian,

You have opened up whole new lines of enquiry. If the 1939-45 Star and the Aircrew Europe Star belonged to your grandfather, then he must have flown on operations at some stage between 1939 and D-Day - 6 Jun 44.

It follows that he was most probably badged aircrew and in consequence you may well be looking at a more interesting career than might at first have been assumed. Before somebody bites my bits off, that is not to suggest that the contribution of ground crew was less valued than anybody else, merely that that it could be much more exciting, particularly when somebody's shooting back!!

Colin Cummings