Thread: Great Uncle RAF (RNZAF) pilot 33 SQN 1944

Thanks

Default Great Uncle RAF (RNZAF) pilot 33 SQN 1944

Gidday to all: I have for the past year been researching my Great Uncle who was a pilot attached to the RAF in WW2. He was based at 33 SQN from August 1944 till his death December 1944 in a flying accident while a pilot of a MK5 Tempest. I have just recieved some Operation logs for 33 SQN from the National Archives (tho nov , dec 44 didnt come through properly). My question is can i find out what happened to any of the aircraft he flew (MK9 spitfires) as the logs have the aircraft number but i dont no how to go about finding out what happened to any of the planes. I have a photo of him with other people at an airfield in Belgium 1944 so im thinking that some of them are fellow pilots but not sure what air field it could be. his details as follows...

W/O N E M MacDonald RNZAF #42427..

thanks
    Scott

Thanks

Hi Scott,

Take a look at the following site and see if you can match up any of the serials in your G-U's Logs:

http://www.spitfires.ukf.net/squadrons.htm

When you have done that, check the matching serials against the following Spitfire Production Listing:

http://www.spitfires.ukf.net/production.htm

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 1st July 2012 at 04:53.

Thanks

Scott,

The RAF Museum in Hendon will also have the details of these aircraft. They will be happy to help, i am sure.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Hello,

In September and October 1944, No. 33 Squadron was based at B53 Merville airfield, in Northern France, 20 km from my home. I'm the unofficial historian of the airfield. I would have sent you the ORB of the Squadron for these two months, but as you said you already had them, there's no need for that.

I can't add much to the good advices given by Nick and Col. Actually the Squadron didn't suffer much losses during that period, and the Spitfires were transfered to a Maintenance Unit or a Group Support Unit or drectly to another Squadron when 33 started its conversion onto Tempests. The site suggested by Col (based on the book "Spitfire the History" will give you the basic details of each Spitfire whose serial number is given in the ORB.

Actually, the conversion from Spitfires to Tempest was decided for No. 135 Wing (222, 349 and 485 Squadrons) and 33 Squadron which was "linked" to that Wing (at least in the beginning). Then only 33 and 222 completed the conversion, and 349 and 485 Squadron reverted to Spitfires.

Regards

Joss

Thanks

Hi Scott , i have been reading your thread regarding your Great Uncle , My Notes Show he was Involved In a Ground Accident While at 57 OTU ,Spitfire R6752 . I may have more contact me off site

bw Phill Jones

Thanks

Thanks for everyones help.... i must say that i now have a list of 9 Spitfires that Evan flew and alot of them ended up going to RNZAF Squadrons a couple have been Written off and the others i wouldnt have a clue where they ended up.... I do have a picture of him with 4 other people standing at possibly an airfield it has Belgium 1944 on the back of the picture but mabe it was in france..ill no more once i get the Nov Dec ORB for the squadron.

cheers
    Scott

Thanks

Default 33 Squadron Aircrew - Luing Henry Cowley

Good Morning Scott (TazNZ). A very small world, as I have recently spent a month in your wonderful country. Flying from Tauranga in a Stearman, the Croydon Aeroplane Company, Routeburne Track and much more.

My purpose in writing, though, is to ask whether you could check the 33 Sqn documentation that you have for any reference to a pilot called Luing Henry Cowley?

He was commissioned as General Duties Branch Pilot Officer (144778) on 2nd February 1943 from Sergeant (1199622). Whilst I know he served on 33 Squadron, I do not know whether that was both before and after commissioning. I know that he flew Hurricanes and Spitfires, but that is about it.

I would be very grateful if you had the time to gallop through what you have and let me know if anything turns up concerning Luing Cowley.

regards

Adam

Thanks

Default Cowley

Adam, A book by the name of Hurricanes over the Sands has a Sgt Cowley of 33 Sqd, claiming a JU87 Probable 3/11/42 , at Sidi el Rahman while flying a Hurricane IIC.

Hope this helps

bw Phill jones

Thanks

Default Cowley

Phil, My word, yes, that helps. You have placed him on 33 Sqn before commissioning, confirmed him in the North African campaign and as an operational Hurricane pilot. Take another stripe out of the box and award youself a double Marmalade sandwich! Many thanks for the helpful and rapid response.

'best

Adam

Thanks

Default Luing cowley

Hi Adam! I know it's a long time since you posted asking for information re. LUING COWLEY... but if it's of any interest to you... Luing was the mayor of Milton Keynes and still resides there. I might be able to get hold of his contact details if you are still interested. Regards, Tony.