Thread: Sgt Gerald Tipping, POW, 38 Squadron

Thanks

Default Sgt Gerald Tipping, POW, 38 Squadron

Ok Guys, last one tonight.

Gerald Tipping, POW number 724, 38 Squadron lost on 1st October 1940 on a raid on Leipzig.

Again, l have the usual. What else can you guys tell me about this man.

He was a student living in Lytham St. Annes, Lancashire.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Dear Nick
    Oliver Clutton Brock in "Footsteps..." lists him as Sgt G Tipping 38 Sq Wellington R3219 30/9/40 Leipzig Camps: L1?/L3/L6/357 Pow no 724. (see p 13 "The Sergeant Escapers" by John Dominy 1974)
    Hope this helps
    James

Thanks

Thanks James,

Let me dig out my copy of The Sergeant Escapers.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Found this for Wellington R3219 but name is recorded as "J" Tipping:

30th September 1940: Wellington R3219 Q of 38 Squadron, Marham. Target Leipzig, failed to return. PO D Maclean was killed and is buried at Reichswald Forest Cemetery. Sergeants AS Williams, J Tipping, VF Gammon, J Hamilton and PO WT Mathieson were taken prisoner.

Source: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=y7Xi9MWcE48C&pg=PA175&lpg=PA175&dq=Wellin gton+R3219&source=bl&ots=yZwr7fi3JK&sig=VQKqi0HwQK SmaoVnLMKJEYU9GEU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=GWTxT4HEPOeS0QWHkp H6DQ&ved=0CE0Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Wellington%20R321 9&f=false
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Hi Nick,

Victor F. Gammon's book "Not All Glory - True Accounts of RAF Airmen Taken Prisoner in Europe, 1939-1945" contains the story of the loss of this aircraft on pages 24-28. Gammon gives his name as "Gerry Tipping"

"Four of the crew, front gunner Sergeant John 'Jock' Hamilton, second pilot Sergeant Stan 'Bill' Williams, wireless operator Sergeant Vic Gammon and navigator Sergeant Gerry Tipping had carried out 20 operations together but Maclean was fairly new to the crew as captain. Rear gunner Pilot Officer W. Mathieson was on his first trip over hostile lands. Mathieson had been posted to 38 Squadron as Armament Officer and was a firm believer that he would be in no position to instruct others what to do on operations unless he had personal experience. When a vacancy as rear-gunner occurred Mathieson quickly took the chance to fly on this trip"

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Thanks Dave and Pete,

I will look up a copy of the book. Obviously, Gerald is often shortened to Gerry, with or without a J so i'm sure these are the same guy. I have his liberation questionaire and he states he was captured at Diepholz

He also states:- "suffered with Jaundice through consuming excess fat. I attempted escape on numerous occasions. Tunneling was the adopted method and in all, cases our tunnels were found before we had penetrated under the wire. In all RAF prison camps the German Albwehr were using Seismographs”

Regards,

Nick
    Last edited by NickFenton; 2nd July 2012 at 15:29.