Thread: RAF training "near Inverness" - RAF Kinloss?

Thanks

Default RAF training "near Inverness" - RAF Kinloss?

I am researching an airman (air gunner) I have no information on the units served, but he joined Jan 44 and according to the family he spent some time in training "near Inverness"

The closest I seem to get to a training unit near Inverness, would be No. 19 Operational Training Unit, RAF Kinloss.

Would there be other options?

Regards

Mikkel Plannthin
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Mikkel

Another option:

RAF Longman was located by the Moray Firth, Inverness, Scotland (More information under RAF Inverness in Wikipedia)
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Mikkel,
    RAF Dalcross (now Inverness Airport) was an Air Gunnery School in 29 Grp of Flying Training Command (Willis & Holliss). It is "near Inverness". This might be your best bet?!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Pete and Peter
    Thank you.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Default No 2 Air Gunnery School, RAF DALCROSS, Inverness

My late father did his initial Air Gunners course 76 at 2AGS, RAF Dalcross during February/March 1944 some 25.5 hours over 31 flights

He always considered himself fortunate that instead of "the Killing Fields of Lincolnshire' he ended up with 31/34 SAAF in 205 Group out of Foggia - though that meant some 40 missions including Warsaw, Ploesti and Danube mining - he also said he had a 'Good War - a) he survived and b) they made him an Officer and gentleman'

PZULBA - Out of erica (Retired)

Thanks

Default RAF Dalcross

Quote Originally Posted by pzulba View Post
    My late father did his initial Air Gunners course 76 at 2AGS, RAF Dalcross during February/March 1944 some 25.5 hours over 31 flights

He always considered himself fortunate that instead of "the Killing Fields of Lincolnshire' he ended up with 31/34 SAAF in 205 Group out of Foggia - though that meant some 40 missions including Warsaw, Ploesti and Danube mining - he also said he had a 'Good War - a) he survived and b) they made him an Officer and gentleman'

PZULBA - Out of erica (Retired)
    I was at Dalcross at that time, did your father remember the accident when an Anson carrying several gunners banked into the drogue wire from the towing kite wnen the wire slowly sliced through the wing and it fell to earth. My sad introduction to the facts of war!

Thanks

20 OTU at RAF Lossiemouth and RAF Elgin
    19 OTU at RAF Kinloss and RAF Forres

Both are also possibles, albeit 30 - 45 mins away from Inverness by modern car.

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dellann View Post
    I was at Dalcross at that time, did your father remember the accident when an Anson carrying several gunners banked into the drogue wire from the towing kite wnen the wire slowly sliced through the wing and it fell to earth. My sad introduction to the facts of war!
    It's been a while (dad died in 2001), but yes there were occasional mentions of 'tragedies' at Dalcross - can't remember anything about a 'drogue' wire, but he was scheduled for training flight on day of a multiple (3 a/c?) incident

PZULBA Out of Africa (got it right this time!!!)(Retired)