Thread: Stanislaus I Canovan, 104 Sqn, Died 24/11/1943

Thanks

Default Stanislaus I Canovan, 104 Sqn, Died 24/11/1943

Hi Guys

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

My main area of research is the Great War, and more specifically the commemoration of the men of Prescot, Lancashire, who fell in that war.

When I first started this research some years ago, I photographed the inscriptions on the town memorials and trenscribed the names. One of these was inscribed as "Canavan S."

I could never trace a Great War casualty of this name and it was only last night as I was working through the 1911 census (as you do), that I came across a family by the name of CanOvan. This led me to CWGC where I came across the entry for Stanislaus Canavon of 104 Squadron, whose birth I subsequently found in Prescot in 1923.

He is buried in a collective grave in Staglieno, Italy, along with 5 others. My assumption is that they formed part of the same crew, and the reason for my post is to ask if any forum members can shed any light on the circumstances surrounding their death on 24th November 1943.

Though Stanislaus is a casualty of the Second World War, I feel that I owe it to him to add him to my website and therefore I would be grateful for any information that can be found

Cheers

Stephen Nulty
    www.prescot-rollofhonour.info
    mail@prescot-rollofhonour.info

Thanks

Hi there, his name shows up on this old thread from this very forum:
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?7313-24-Nov.-1943-Losses

He was probably on one of the two 104 Sqn Wellingtons mentioned in that old thread.
    LN338 104 Squadron .
    LN386 104 Squadron .

it gives you the background to that bad night.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Stephen, Welcome to the forum.
    Dennis gives you two alternative aircraft. rafweb favours LN386.
    Yr man Enlisted (1238313) in the RAFVR in April - May 1940 (location not known). He might have had to do a "Birth Date Adjustment" at the Recruiting Office to get 'In' - not unusual!!!
    You will see that all 7 crew members are buried in the same Collective Grave. They may have, initially, been buried close to the crash site, and re-interred in the Genoa Cemetery after the War. But all 7 crew in one Grave does seem to indicate that whatever remains were recovered (either initially, or later) were not able to be identified!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Denis/Peter

Thank you both very much for prompt and informative responses. I'll update my web site with Stanislaus' details towards the end of the week.

Thanks

Stephen,
    Incidentally, you might care to research the forename "Ignutius". One of my E European colleagues on this forum has never seen that spelling of the name - always "Ignatius". That is not to say it doesn't exist. Ideed, it might be a variation from one small specific area - which may (or may not!!!) give you more info!
    Answers almost always give rise to more questions!!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter

Yes, that name did catch my eye. His registration in the BMD indexes simply shows the intiial "I", so I'm not sure if the CWGC entry is a digitisation error from the scanning exercise back in the 1990's - I have seen enough Great War errors on CWGC over the years, but if they check against the original registers and find a mistake, they quickly put it right.

I'll report back.