Thread: Sgt V C Salvage, 40 Squadron Blenheim and Stalag 357+other C2 5 Occupants

Thanks

Default Sgt V C Salvage, 40 Squadron Blenheim and Stalag 357+other C2 5 Occupants

Guys,

Victor Charles Salvage, POW No. 13076, was lost aboard a 40 Squadron Blenheim on 6th June 1940, cause of loss and the crash-site have not been established. He did however escape on his way to Germany, when he went to the American Ambassador - Mr Platt Waller in Loumberg? They handed him to Saxonbry authorities who handed me to the Germans. A student, who gave his contact as through his Father, T C Salvage in Vicarage Road, Eastbourne.

Quite a few stories here, but doe anyone have anything on Salvage.

Others notables who were in the same hut, C2 5, included:-
    John F H Bristow, The Canary, , POW No. 171 and listed as a member of Sagan’s escape committee, 82 Squadron Blenheim 13th August 1940 and on whom l have very little
    John Ernest Sloane, POW No. 91, 149 Squadron Stirling 18th May 1942 covered by Søren C. Flensted
    George Browning Spenceley, POW No. 360, 11 0TU Wellington, 2nd June 1942, famous mountaineere
    Charles Howard Squire, POW No. 515, 54 Squadron Spitfire IIA, 26th February 1941, covered by 'After the Battle'

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Nick,

The book "Defiant Diplomat" by George Platt Waller (google as it's online) lists the Blenheim as L8827. Salvages' pilot, S/Ldr Brian Paddon successfully escaped Colditz, arriving UK 7 August 1942.

Waller describes Salvage's arrival and his dilemma in turning Salvage over to the Germans.

http://www.tolliss.com/gedview/individual.php?pid=I22551&ged=Tolliss.ged

States your man died Uxbridge, 1954, aged 35. I am assuming it is the same man based on the Eastbourne address.

Regards,

Dave
    Last edited by alieneyes; 3rd July 2012 at 16:44. Reason: info on death

Thanks

As to the circumstances of the loss of L2887, Terry Foreman, the Wop/Ag in Brian Paddon's crew, told me that the aircraft was shot down by Bf109s. He also told me that Salvage escaped from a train en route to a POW camp. Paddon, I am told, killed a guard escaping also from a train later, and would have faced a death sentence had he not escaped to Sweden.

Thanks

Guys,

Thanks for this. Let me digest and get back to you.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

I am the older daughter of Victor Charles Salvage and have just accessed this very useful information. My father died on 30 August 1954 in a motorbike accident on his way to work in London. I was only three and a half years old at the time and sadly I hardly remember him. I've passed this info on to my mother who was delighted. I guess a lot of those he shared a hut with will now have passed on but I'd be delighted to hear from any of them if not and will be very happy to provide more info on my father. My mother has a war log in which he wrote and drew during his time in Germany. He studied for his Inter-B.Sc. while a POW and went on to do his degree in General Science at King's College, London. He then undertook a masters in Chemical Engineering and was working for Mars in Slough at the time of his death. i am just so sorry not to have known him!! Apparently he made the most of his time in Germany, was well-treated (apart from the various times he tried to escape!), became fluent in German and would never hear a bad word said about the Germans.

Best wishes
    Ann V Salvage

Quote Originally Posted by NickFenton View Post
    Guys,

Victor Charles Salvage, POW No. 13076, was lost aboard a 40 Squadron Blenheim on 6th June 1940, cause of loss and the crash-site have not been established. He did however escape on his way to Germany, when he went to the American Ambassador - Mr Platt Waller in Loumberg? They handed him to Saxonbry authorities who handed me to the Germans. A student, who gave his contact as through his Father, T C Salvage in Vicarage Road, Eastbourne.

Quite a few stories here, but doe anyone have anything on Salvage.

Others notables who were in the same hut, C2 5, included:-
    John F H Bristow, The Canary, , POW No. 171 and listed as a member of Sagan’s escape committee, 82 Squadron Blenheim 13th August 1940 and on whom l have very little
    John Ernest Sloane, POW No. 91, 149 Squadron Stirling 18th May 1942 covered by Søren C. Flensted
    George Browning Spenceley, POW No. 360, 11 0TU Wellington, 2nd June 1942, famous mountaineere
    Charles Howard Squire, POW No. 515, 54 Squadron Spitfire IIA, 26th February 1941, covered by 'After the Battle'

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Ann,

Great to hear from you. That is what this site is all about.

I have dropped you and E mail and look forward to hearing from you further and will keep the room informed of what we are saying.

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com