Thread: Identifying operational unit (Lancaster) of air gunner?

Thanks

Default Identifying operational unit (Lancaster) of air gunner?

I am researching a Danish air gunner and trying to narrow down the number of units he may have served in operationally. He joins 27 Jan 44 in Edinburgh. He is with certainty at 9 ITW, Stratford on Avon, and possibly at No. 2 AGS, Dalcross in 1944. Reclassification as Air Gunner in Jan 1945.

According to the family he serves in a Lancaster squadron, operation at least once over Germany and taking part in the repatriation of members of the Norwegian royal family in 1945. Family also states he operated from Ireland (must be Northern Ireland if so) at some point.

At least the King and the immediate family arrives by ships of the Royal Navy. I might think that the squadron was involved in Operation Doomsday, not the repatriation of the royal family as such.

He is awarded the Atlantic Star and a Norwegian medal. This confuses me. Would airmen operation on Norway be awarded the Atlantic Star?

Would anyone have suggestions narrowing down this search?

Regards

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Default Hate to see no replies!!

The Atlantic Star is perhaps misnamed. It was awarded to aircrew who did operations in naval support not just over the Atlantic but also on Russian Convoys and Home Waters, so , yes, I guess it would be available to operations towards Norway
    regards Peter
    Last edited by PeterColwill; 16th July 2012 at 15:01. Reason: lash up

Thanks

It sounds to me as if he was a Coastal Command aircrewman or maybe had done a few Coastal Ops before he started operating Bomber Command - I have found early in the war several chaps had done this.

The Atlantic Star was usually awarded to Coastal chaps.

Thanks

Pete and Peter
    Thank you for these suggestions. I'll try to dig up some more.

I think the star is correct so it may be the that he served briefly in the CC.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War