Thread: P/O Alec Lumsden

Thanks

Default P/O Alec Lumsden

P/O A. Lumsden was a pilot of 118Sqn. RAF and he flew Spitfire Mk.IIa NK-K during the spring of 1941. What was his fate or service duty to the end of the war? Any photos?

Thanks!

Thanks

Default Alec Lumsden

Hi , i can take you to the end of APRIL 42

58 OTU Feb 41
    118 Sqd March 41
    MSFU ?
    229 Sqd March 42, left April 42 UK Bound

not much hope it helps

phill jones

Thanks

Hello,

Here is the blurb from the jacket of his co-authoured work (with Owen Thetford), On Silver Wings:RAF Biplane Fighters Between the Wars (Osprey,1993):

Alec S C LUMSDEN was born in 1921 and educated at Malvern College. He enlisted in the RAF Volunteer Reserve on the outbreak of World War 2 as a pilot under training, gaining his commission in February 1941. His wartime flying was both colourful and diverse, to say the least, covering a multitude of types ranging from the Spitfire V through to the Lysander III.
    Spending varying amounts of time with five frontline squadrons over a 12-month period in 1941/42, he flew combat missions from bases in England, North Africa and Malta; he also participated in two Atlantic convoys as the pilot of a Sea Hurricane I attached to the Merchant Ship Fighter Unit. Slightly wounded during a bombing raid on Malta in July 1942, he spent the rest of the war flying with Maintenance and Operational Training Units. He was invalided out of the RAF in 1946.
    Postwar, he has held a variety of positions, all of which have been linked to aviation in one way or another. These include route manager for Silver City Airways, chief information officer at Hawker Siddeley International, technical and military editor at Interavia magazine, and press officer at BAC.
    He formed Alec Lumsden Associates/Photophile Photography in 1974, and since then has worked as a freelance contributor. An aviation historian of considerable note, he has written countless articles and several books on a variety of topics.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 5th July 2012 at 11:29.

Thanks

Ok guys! That's what I needed.
    Thanks for help and good luck!

Thanks

Alec passed on in, I think, the late 1990s. I knew him quite well when he lived in Lymington close to the IoW ferry terminal. Neville Duke was his next-door neighbour! Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of Alec. He was a remarkable gentleman.

Thanks

Your in luck lads, ancestry.com has his 1946 RAC liecense card with a small photo. Will send in exchange to an email address, dp_burke /at/ yahoo.com
    Cheers

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default P8088

info required on P8088, see www.spitfire-p8088.co.uk for details

Thanks

Hello P8088,

most board members repsond best to some pleasanteries like hello, please, a name etc. A bit of common sense.

regards, Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dennis et al,

My apologies you are of course correct.

Peter Lumsden, son of P/O Alexander Lumsden is a good friend of mine. We have decided to try and gather as much information as possible and document it by way of the websire www.spitfire-p8088.co.uk

Peter has good information along with a copy of his fathers log book which we will seek to present in a manner which will benefit as many people as are interested. Additionally, backgroudn information on the pilots thta have flown P8088, as well as reports of 1st flights, and other personal information.

We would greatly apprciate any informaiotn on the aircraft or it's pilots that could be shared tovbecome part of the website.

We know the remains of the aircraft has been up for auction and also Peter has contact with the current owner.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Ryan/Peter Lumsden (P8088)

Thanks

Hi i have PM YOU

bw phill jones