Thread: HSL128 air sea rescue launch crew and search info sought from May 8th, 1943

Thanks

Default HSL128 air sea rescue launch crew and search info sought from May 8th, 1943

Greetings from Montreal :)My name is Jamie Duquette and I am researching the life of my grand uncle, pilot Frederick Duquette who flew Beaufighters in Malta kan to may 1943. He sadly perished on a return mission from Egypt, just missing the island some 20 miles out.Although I have uncovered many interesting details of his life and times, lately I have been researching the air ses rescue crew that attempted to locate him and his navigator Albert Johnson. I have located the log page regarding the search.My goal would be to locate descendents of the crew on that date. Any ideas? Any photos, info on hsl128 would of great interest especially. I look forward to exchangeing any information. Sincerely yours, Jamie Duquette.,,

p.s. word version or original scan available upon request.

,Transcript of HSL128 deck log, Air and Sea Rescue Boat May 8th, 1943, searching for survivors of Beaufighter ESL549 (pilot Frederick Duquette and navigator Albert Johnson: 8th*May, 1943 * Crew: **************************Date: *****Dep *****Ret: ******Dur: **************Dis: *************Gal: *******Mpg: * F/O Houghton i/c ********8.5.43 ***1825 ****22.11 ***3hrs 46min ***62.6miles ****177gall ***.35 F/S Head ********cox**Wind w Force 5, *Cloud 70, ****Weather Fine, ******Sea Rough. Sgt Sleep ********cox ******1825 *****Started Engines. Cpl Hockney *Fitt. ******1826 Left Camber for pos. 21 miles Kalafrana 100 T. “Beaufighter in *trouble”. AC Hall *********Fitt. ******1828 Delamara abeam. LAC Hodgson WOP ***1920 Turned into wind *Rev’s 1000 ‘Spits searching’ Cpl. *Webb ****W.E.M. 1930 Circled wreckage twice. LHC Lake *****D.H. ******1945 Increased speed 1200 Rev’s. LAC Armstrong D.H. **2010 R.T.B. (returned to base) 1200 Rev’s E.T.A. 2200 hrs. LAC Catchpole *D.H. **2211 Alongside Cambert and F.W.E. LAC Ashford ***D.H. *** * Duration 3 hrs 46 minutes. Distance 62.6 miles. Fuel used 177 Gallons. * * FURTHER CLARIFICATION ON DECK LOG NOTES via Frank Leighton, who served as a deck hand on HSL 128: * Skipper F/O Joe 'Jock' Houghton 1st Coxswain F/S George Head 2nd Coxswain Sgt. Stan Sleep Fitter Cpl. Jack Hockney Fitter AC (Unknown) Hall W.Op. LAC Tom Hodgson W.Op. Cpl John Webb D.H. LAC (Unknown) Oake D.H. LAC Charlie Armstrong D.H. LAC Eric Catchpole **************** (Unknown) Ashford: From South Africa as per gr crockett's manuscripts * Explanation of some abbreviations in logbook : * Delimara abeam* -* this refers to Delimara Point on north side of Marsaxlokk bay.* It had both a fort & a lighthouse on it - very prominent ****************************** -* "abeam" *means 90 degrees from track (the direction of the vessel), either port or starboard of vessel RTB* -* Return To Base *****ETA* -* Estimated Time of Arrival FWE* -* Finished With Engines ****D.H.* -* Deck Hand
    Last edited by theramin; 6th July 2012 at 01:26. Reason: syntax

Thanks

Dear Jamie
    It already looks as though you have found the best document, but you may wast to contact http://www.asrmcs-club.com/welcome.htm as they may be able to help with more details.
    Good luck in your search
    James

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James Castle View Post
    Dear Jamie
    It already looks as though you have found the best document, but you may wast to contact http://www.asrmcs-club.com/welcome.htm as they may be able to help with more details.
    Good luck in your search
    James
    Dear James,

Thank you very much for your reply. I did post a similar 'Call Out' on that website. There are a lot of postd on the message board and maybe something will turn up. A shot in the dark sometimes turns to light! Regards, Jamie
    Last edited by theramin; 6th July 2012 at 13:26. Reason: syntax

Thanks

Default Hsl 128

Jamie,
    I am F/O "Jock" Houghton's son.
    I have sent you a PM.
    Please can you confirm receipt?
    Many Thanks

Thanks

Default Jock Houghton

Quote Originally Posted by HSL128 View Post
    Jamie,
    I am F/O "Jock" Houghton's son.
    I have sent you a PM.
    Please can you confirm receipt?
    Many Thanks
    Hell there great to hear from you :)

Unfortunately I did not receive your PM. I will send you a PM through the site and include my email address and invite you to contact me privately. I am very much looking forward to corresponding with you.

Sincerely yours, Jamie

Thanks

Hi, my dad served on HSL128 in Malta, I have a photo of it in harbour ( at the place begins with K) if you would like a copy let me know ?

Thanks

Default Hsl 128

Hello there! Sorry for the delay in responding. Off internet for a house move. A resounding yes to.your query! Do send.the picture from Kalafrana to my email theramin@hotmail.com. Will be great to talk. Lots of.info to share! Cheers, Jamie