Thread: Plane Crash Investigations

Thanks

Default Plane Crash Investigations

When an allied plane crashed, let's say in Occupied France, would there be an investigation of the remains? And if so, where would any reports be filed?
    TIA

Stein

Thanks

I can only advise you on the process relating to the plane that we are researching, that crashed in Bonn.

The remains of the aircraft and the crew were removed from the site the day after the crash. In our case, the remains were buried in the local cemetery and the aircraft parts "recycled". Records were kept by local authorities and you can contact eg the local mayor / local history societies etc to see if they are still available. (It should be noted that records may not have survived)

At the end of the war, the Royal Air Force Missing Research and Enquiry Service (MRES) was set up to trace the 42,000 personnel who were listed as ‘missing, believed killed’. Again, in our case, the crews remains were found and they were reinterred at one of the Commonwealth War Graves.

A report was produced by the MRES, a summary of which can be obtained from the RAF Air Historical Branch. More details can be released by them to next of kin (once proof of kinship has been provided). We are currently awaiting the more detailed report having sent off the relevant form to RAF AHB.

I hope this gives a flavour for what can be obtained; others may have more information.

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]