Thread: Flight Sergeant David Fisher Davies DFM no 1313600

Thanks

Default Flight Sergeant David Fisher Davies DFM no 1313600

I am doing research into my late great Aunts finance Flight Sergeant David Fisher Davies 1313600. We know very little and could do with any help please. I know he was a gunner, and was posted in January 1943 to 138 squadron, RAF Tempsford, where he worked on the Halifax bomber as a gunner. I n September 1943 he was awarded the DFM, but we do not know why ??. I would like to find out where he served before 138 squadron, but as I am not next of kin I cannot apply for his records. He was killed on January 8th 1944, when his Halifax crashed on a return mission from Belguim. If anyone can help me or point me in the right direction I would be really grateful, thanks .

Thanks

Firstly, you can apply for his service record, but the information you will receive will be limited; it will however include his postings.

As you are aware, F/S Davies was KIA in Halifax LK743, which crashed at Tetworth Hall (Hill?), Bedfordshire. A full crew list, along with its passengers, can be found at: http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Bedfordshire/TempsfordAircrewLost1944.html

His award of the DFM in September 1943, was listed in the London Gazette: http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/36170/supplements/4079/page.pdf (no citation)

In relation to the loss, the following is an extract (source unknown) from http://bernardoconnor.org.uk/Publications/Stneots/ACCIDENTSATTEMPSFORD.htm

"One Sunday afternoon, 8th January 1944, two ‘planes, an American and a British, were reported as “chasing” each other. The latter, a Halifax LK743, ‘J for Johnny’, coming in low and overloaded with 10 on board, could not clear the highest clump of trees and crashed into one of the cottages in front of Tetworth Hall. The ‘plane and the house caught fire. The tenant, Fred Gore, was killed but his wife, Miriam, his sister-in-law and Mr H.J. Waddington escaped. All that was left of the house was a burnt chimney stack. Mr Waddington managed to get help at the nearest farmhouse. The captain, W.O. Kennedy of 138 Squadron, all his seven crew and three members of the resistance were killed. Maybe the number of accidents and the public’s interest in the secrecy of the rescue operations led to a growing awareness of the role of the Special Duties Squadrons. The Daily Telegraph carried a story with the headline ‘Allied ‘planes Secret Landings in France’ on 9th February 1944"

I can find nothing relating to his previous service, but I hope the above is of use.

Regards

Pete
    Last edited by PeteT; 9th July 2012 at 14:42.
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Default thanks

thanks for your help, have down loaded the form to get Sgt Davies's records, should help us a lot. I am also now a member of Tempsford families association, they are helping me with his history at Tempsford. Small steps, but I am getting there. Will be attending the remembrance parade at Tempsford in November. Thanks again.

Thanks

Eleroo

According to Ian Tavender’s “The Distinguished Flying Medal Register for The Second World War”, the DFM citation read as follows : -

DAVIES, David (William?) Fisher 1313600 Sergeant, No. 138 Sqn.
    LG 14/9/1943, Sorties 30, Flying hours 174.20, Air Gunner Air2/8979

Sergeant Davies is an Air Gunner employed in a special aircrew capacity requiring great skill, initiative and co-operation with the rest of his crew. He has now carried out 30 operational sorties and, to a great extent, the success of each of these has depended on his actions. Sergeant Davies has at all times shown a high degree of courage and keenness to operate and his sense of duty has set a fine example to the remainder of the squadron. I strongly recommend him for the non-immediate award of the Distinguished Flying Medal.
    20th. July 1943

Remarks by Station Commander : This Air Gunner has earned the confidence of his crew by his skill and attention to detail. Strongly recommended.

--

Douglas

Thanks

Default dfm

thank you so much for that information. I am slowly piecing together Sgt Davies's story,
    Helen