Thread: Re RAF Boxing

Thanks

Default Re RAF Boxing

Hello all, my first post on this forum so please be gentle, i am unsure if this is the right area to post this query, so i appologise in advance, please feel free to move it to where it should be.

My dad RW Gray at 21 enlisted in the raf in 1937/38, an article in 1944 the Eastern Daily Press (norwich) entitled the 5 Fighting Gray's shows him with 4 of his brothers all serving in varied forces as, My dad known by most as bob or bobby is shown as (Lac) in the raf, i assume ground crew.
    I do know he boxed for the raf as i remember seeing varied military trophies on the mantle with his name and these showing (lightweight) as a nipper, and as a youngster himself he boxed for the norwich lads club, to which i was told by a brother of his that he was caught bare fist fighting on the fairground for money and was dismissed from the lads club .

Any information would be gratefully received many thanks in advance, kind regards tony gray

Thanks

Can we ask what you fathers full name was, Robert William? Have you his service number? Have you obtained your fathers service file from the RAF? http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/raf.html/

if he was ground crew then we might not have much information since he will have avoided aircraft crashes and shot down, the usual thing we come across. The 1000's of men that kept the planes flying.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default re Boxing raf

Thankyuo for replying so quick it is appreciated, you were right his name was robert william, i havnt a service number and havnt contacted the address you posted that is next on my list to do. I was hoping on the off chance that there may have been someone who may have any memories of boxing, if you could point me in the right direction i would be grateful.
    On another note i attended school in the 70s with a celebrity pilot if i may refer to him as such, he ruled us as a metalwork teacher with a cast iron law, tough as old boots but fair. Some may remember him Mr Bennions a former Spitfire pilot who was one of the early casualties to undergo plastic surgery. If i remember correctly his plane was unearthed in the late 70s or early 80s

many thanks once again kind regards tony gray