Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P/O Roy Frandsen, Pilot, 78 and 199 squadrons

Thanks

Default P/O Roy Frandsen, Pilot, 78 and 199 squadrons

Does anyone have the ORBs for these two squadrons covering 1941(78 Squadron) and 1942 (199 squadron)? I want to find out the ops flown by Roy and some more details of 2 incidents but the dates are hazy.The first was in August 1941 when an engine fire caused the crew to abandon their aircraft over England on the way out to Dusseldorf. 1 crew man lost his life.
    The second occured in october of 42 ( I think) when they were involved in a collision,during take off ( I think !) and theirs and the other aircraft blew up.Nobody hurt this time.
    Roy went on to fly a couple off ops with 199 but I dont know when.He started a second tour of ops with 166 in 1943 and flew right through the Battle of Berlin earning a well deserved DFC. He was a great character and a brave man.
    Thanks,
    B

Thanks

Hello,

Here are the dates/incidents from Bomber Command Losses to help anyone checking the ORBs:

24/25-8-1941
    No.78 Sqn
    Whitley V Z6742 EY-
    Op:Dusseldorf

T/o 2017 Middleton St. George. Abandoned, on fire, and crashed 0227 near Mistley, Essex, on the S bank of the Stour. Sgt Sinclair RCAF was found in the wreckage and he is buried in Ipswich Cemetery.

P/O Fransden
    P/O D A Sinclair RCAF +
    Sgt Becker
    Sgt Young
    Sgt Gale

BCL2/125

and...

10/11-10-1941
    No.78 Sqn
    Whitley V Z6825 EY-
    Op: Essen

T/o Middleton St. George only to be hit on the flare-path by another Whitley.

P/O Fransden
    Sgt Dennis
    Sgt Bowden
    Sgt Young
    Sgt Taylor - injured

BCL2/157

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 13th July 2012 at 00:42.

Thanks

Would anyone know of the family background of P/O Roy Viggo Gordon FRANDSEN, DFC (175793) ? The name could suggest a Scandinavian background? Hence my interest.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Ancestry.com to the rescue,

1938 - Roy Frandsen born 1916, arrives in London on the Hardwicke Grange ship, from Monte Video, as a Commercial person, no more details given for his profession than that.

Roy V G Frandsen, married twice in 1943 and 1997, maybe the last one is a son or other person.

Roy Viggo G Frandsen died in 2001 in Chelsea/Kennsington, born 18 April 1916.

The birth doesn't appear in the England registers as far as I can see.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dennis
    Thank you! I should have stated that I had already searched ancestry and found these entries myself.

The birth registration is there, but under the name of 'Frandson' (Edmonton, Oxfordshire). Mother's maiden name is Lange. From this one can deduct that he had a sister named Beryl and that possibly his mother's first names were Marie Louise (from sisters birth record and UK passenger arrival).

There is no doubt that he is British Subject, but the name would just suggest Scandinavian pedigree.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War

Thanks

Mikkel, Hi,
    I've found :-
    Births Jun 1916
    Frandsen Roy V G Lange Edmonton 3a 968
    There seems to have been 3 main groups of Frandsen in UK. 2 in London, and 1 on Tyneside. One of the London families seems to have had the habit of giving the children 3 Forenames. This may be your best bet. The 1911 Census shows a definite Denmark birthplace for some members.
    UK-Scandiwegian alliances were not all that unusual. My own mother (on Tyneside) had Norwegian cousins - the Haagensen's.
    If you want more detail drop me an email.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter
    Thanks

Almost certain that he is the son of Johannes Fredrik Momme Frandsen (1882-1962) and Marie Louise Frandsen (nee Lange). The couple married 1908 in West Ham.

Mikkel

Thanks

Hi Col,thanks for your reply.I hope there is someone out there who might be able to help me with the ORBs for 78 and 199 squadrons otherwise its off to the NA and its a long way from the west country where I am! B

Thanks

Barnsley

I have the 199 ORB. Let me know what you want and I will see if I can find anything about Roy Fransden for you.

Douglas

Thanks

I have the ORB for 78 Sqn let me know what you want and I'll have a look for you.

Regards

Daz