Thread: 55 Course, 2 SFTS, Brize Norton and Initial training.

Thanks

Default 55 Course, 2 SFTS, Brize Norton and Initial training.

Guys,

As some of you will know, l have been researching what happened to the various members of RAF training unit 2 SFTS at Brize Norton, and in particular 56 course which my Father was part of.

Of the 37 students, 22 were killed in action, 6 became POW's, 3 survived unscathed through the war and l have yet to find out what happened to the other 6 but it appears they survived. Allowing this, l am certain that 76% were shot down, one of them died at the age of 17, in charge of a Whitley bomber with a crew of 5. In two separate occurrences, 2 members of 56 Course died on the same operation, in one of these, on the same plane. They mostly went into Bomber Command.

I am going to move on to the two courses either side of 56 Course to see if this was the standard picture or particular to that course, starting with 55 Course so any help anyone can give me will be greatfully received.

As an aside, my Father's service record says that he went from 4 ITW through 51 Group Pool to 2 SFTS. The records for 2 SFTS show "Number of EFT school", which in my Father's case was 11. I know that basic flight training was at the Group Pools, usually attached to an airfield or aircraft establishment, but was 51 Group Pool the same as 11 EFT?

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Nick

51 Group was responsible for some of the Elementary Flying Training Schools, including No 11. (Source: R Sturtivant, FT and SU since 1912)

My understanding is that trainees would have gone through an EFTS prior to arrival at a SFTS, so perhaps the record is showing his route to SFTS was via 11 EFTS.

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Thanks Pete,

That does seem sensible but 51 Group was based at Yeadon (Leeds/Bradford Airport) and 11 EFTS seems to be in Perth, Scotland, but l have seen reference to this before. Seems a long way apart.

If you look up the ORB's for 51 Group, there are no specific details of trainees but all it talks about is cricket and rugby matches they played against other units throughout 1940 and 41. The war had obviously not got to them by then.

I will have to see what l can find out on 11 EFTS from Kew.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Nick

Apparently it was originally going to be set up in Edinburgh. It took over responsibility for the following EFTS on 7.7.1940: 4,5,7,9,11,12,14,15,16,24 plus 1 and 4 AONS.

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Thanks again Pete,

This has answered the question for me. More research required. I will up-date on my return.

Regards,

Nick