Thread: P/O Ronald Victor Trueman, 55 Course 2 SFTS 1940/41

Thanks

Default P/O Ronald Victor Trueman, 55 Course 2 SFTS 1940/41

Guys,

The service number 61969 matches up, lost in July 1941, whilst with 405 Squadron.

Does anyone have any other details?

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Page 101

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Guys,

From the squadron ORB's and CWGC, Pilot Officer Ronald Victor Trueman died on 24th July 1941, aged 22, whilst flying Wellington Ic W5537 LQ-O with 405 Squadron on a raid on Brest. The Crew of 6 consisted of PO Ronald Victor trueman, Sgt Colvin John Crump, Sgt John Albert Fawkes. Sgt Jullian Lee Byron Martin, Sgt Anthony George Lendrum Mitchell and Sgt Cyril Tatton.

Does anyone please have any indication as to how this aircraft was lost? Believed that it crashed in the sea but no other indications.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Default P/O Ronald Victor Trueman, 24.7.41, aged 22, Wellington W5537 LQ-O with 405 Squadron

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have been contacted through here by Roy Longbottom, 81 year old last remaining cousin of P/O R V Trueman who is seeking more information about Ron.

He has visited the Grindleford War Memorial and Runnymede and remembers Ron being reported missing and recalls him flying out of Dishforth.

How can we help Roy with further information.

I intend getting to Kew this week for the Squadron ORB's between May and July 1941 but not sure which OTU he went to between 2 SFTS, which concluded in March 1941 and joining 405 Squadron in May 1941.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Default Correspondence addressed to P/O Trueman

Hello,

I have a batch of old letters I purchased out of interest at a sale, most are addressed to the family of Sgt. J.A. Fawkes, who was part of P/O Trueman's crew and is listed as being killed on July 24, 1941 along with P/O Trueman.

Part of the bundle include two letters on RAF message slips from a fellow airman, writing in vain after the war to P/O Trueman, asking after his state of affairs. As one of the slips make mention of Sgt. Fawkes as well I assume that they wound up with the Fawkes family at some point, which is how they were with the packet of letters.

Mr. Fenton, I would be pleased to mail the two letters to P/O Trueman to his kin, Mr. Longbottom, if anybody had an address.

As well, should anybody ever hear of relatives of Sgt. Fawkes, there are some interesting items in the packet that I would gladly send along to them, not least of which is a final letter he left for his mother should he not return.

Thanks in advance,

Fraser Robinson