Thread: RAF Bicester campaign

Thanks

Default RAF Bicester campaign

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been posted and discussed already, but a Google search didn't reveal it, so here it is, just in case.

RAF Bicester is up for sale and there is a campaign to acquire it and turn it into a Bomber Command museum.

To cut to the chase, here is the salient paragraph: "The group, which consists of around 50 volunteers, believe the site will cost at least 2 million to buy, with a further 35 million to restore the buildings and convert the site into a visitor attraction."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/raf-bomber-command/9400393/Campaign-to-save-last-intact-Second-World-War-Bomber-Command-airbase.html
    David

Thanks

Hello David,

Thank you for drawing our attention to the efforts of the 'Bicester Local History' group.

Many old '76 Sqn' warriors, I am currently profiling, spent time at Bicester some on the OUAS. Its one of the original RFC aerodromes and some parts date back to early 1911. Located in North Oxfordshire, it was expanded in the 1930s in the usual 'Georgian' style and is a magnificent old airfield to try and preserve. Though God knows where the money is going to come from. Many current pictures of the fine old buildings can be seen on 'Google' and clearly, it was well maintained by the RAF

Norman

Thanks

Hello David and Norman,

I'd fully support any efforts to save RAF Bicester. 100 Squadron were there in the 1920s and so the place holds an interest for me.

Best as always, Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945