Thread: Michael Bruce-Porter, ATA pilot

Thanks

Default Michael Bruce-Porter, ATA pilot

Hello all,

I'm struggling to find out much information on this ATA pilot and was wondering if any books on the ATA mention him? I've tried LG, Flight, ancestry, CWGC, etc, but coming up with very little indeed. Any titbits of information would be most welcome!

All I've found are the marriages of a Michael F L Bruce-Porter in 1939 and 1954. Can find no birth, death, so not sure where he was from etc.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks

I guess you know, but he is mentioned in Appendix C of Cheesman's Brief Glory; First Officer Bruce-Porter, Michael.

Not much information though.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Spent a very frustrating hour (or so!) trying to find the Bruce-Porter's, and I have to report a dismal failure!
    There was a Mr Bruce Porter.
    There was a Bruce Bruce-Porter. This change from a single Surname to a double-barrelled Surname seems to have occurred around the 1900-1912 time. The Bruce Bruce-Porter was an eminent WW1 Army Medic - and later (no doubt very expensive) Doctor to the high and mighty, and fashionable, persons in London! His lady (the Widow of some NZ person) was also very active in inter-War London 'Society'!!!
    At the same time there was still - as far as I can see - Bruce (ordinary) Porter's doing their 'thing'.
    So - I think this problem has to be sat on by aviation researchers for some time in order to let the genealogists/fam hist experts work out where he came from and where he went. It's a fairly unusual Surname (none of the 'normal' BMD databases are very helpful!). In the meanwhile, did the ATA have an ORB (or similar)????? And, if so, is it in TNA??
    Rgds
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

21 Sep 1942, the Brittanic arrives from Cape town in Liverpool, the passenger manifest has been very very badly scanned on ancestry.com and its almost impossible to read but on board was a

Michael F L Porter, (by streting your eyesight to see it, arriving from South Africa, occupation a farmer. What is after this time you find him in the ATA accident in England?

Also onbaord that same ship as a stowaway ? was one Manie C Porter.

And now the computer is ceased working.......jebus!!!
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dennis, Hi,
    Looks like the same bloke? So how come he lands in Liverpool as a "Porter" and ends up on ATA as a "Bruce-Porter"? I've got a genealogical contact in RSA. Leave it with me for a bit, and I'll see if I can ferret out his S African background!
    I just knew this one was going to be difficult!!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Thanks

I'm doubting someone could be a farmer, pilot and medical doctor in the space of a few years, fair dues to him if he was!!

When does his name appear in ATA records? he is supposed to have survived a crash?
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dennis,
    That's my point. I don't think the farmer/pilot bloke was the same bloke as the Knighted Army Medical Doctor! My thinking at the moment is that he (the farmer/pilot bloke) changed his name from a bog-standard 'Porter' to an up-market 'Bruce-Porter' after he pitches up in UK? I don't (at the moment) think he's related to the various 'Bruce-Porter's' - other than by Name Change! Too difficult!!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Thanks

There is a Michael Bruce-Porter who, on 18th June 1941, is granted a passport with a destination "British Empire", "Gratis Passport Control". This usually means either on behalf of Special Operations Executive or Secret Intelligence Service. I feel fairly confident you have a bona fide spook and would be keen to know more about your interest in him.

Thanks

Default Michael Bruce-Porter, ATA pilot

On September 3rd 1940 he had an accident in Spitfire X4317:

"While ferrying to 54 Sq., braked hard while taxying and went on nose, White Waltham."

Source: Air Britain Aeromilitaria 135.

John Engelsted