Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ross / Norman Hood et al be aware

Thanks

Default Ross / Norman Hood et al be aware

Dear Norman
    I have just had this as an e-mail. As this is the second one of these I have had this year I think (hope) you have been got at by the techno gremlins. I hope it is not real but I thought I would post it here as this is where both your and my e-mails would have been sourced from. I hope this is ok Ross. (please delete this thread if you want to).
    I thought by posting it here other members may be aware of a scam that is hitting us.
    Thanks
    James

Quote from the email

My Terrible Trip......Namron Dooh

Hide Details
    TO: norman.hood@btinternet.com

Message flagged

Tuesday, 17 July 2012, 10:22

I'm in some terrible and horrible situation,I came down here to Madrid, Spain for a program and I was robbed at gun point last night, I misplaced my wallet on my way back to my hotel after I went for sight seeing. The wallet contained all the valuables I had. Now, my passport is in custody of the hotel management pending when I make payment.

I am sorry if i am inconveniencing you, but i have only very few people to run to now. i will be indeed very grateful if i can get a loan of € 2’680 , from you. this will enable me sort my hotel bills and get my sorry self back home. I will really appreciate whatever you can afford in assisting me with. I promise to refund it in full as soon as I return. let me know if you can be of any assistance. Please, let me know soonest. Thanks so much.

Write me so I can let you know how to send it.

Thanks,
    Norman

Thanks

I doubt the source of the email address hacking is rafcommands.com. I have had numerous similar emails sent to me. What’s probably happening is a trojan (virus) has quietly infiltrated the email sender's computer (Norman's), hacked their address book (and possible other sources of email address on their computer) and silently sends these fraudulent emails, using the senders email provider, to "friends". The resolution is the sender (in this case Norman) needs to remove the trojan using some anti virus software.

Cheers
    Rodger
    In remembrance of the crew of Halifax HR732
    51 Squadron Snaith - All LWT Leipzig 4 December 1943

Thanks

Ah,
    I have had this same email, two or three weeks ago. Only difference was place names, replace Madrid with Frankfurt. The email had my email address and my name on it sent by someone using another forum members name. A name known to me but I knew for a fact he wouldn't write to me cadging money.

Both of us were on the same forum. I only used four forums so it could be narrowed down to one of those four, not this one therefore, three. I doubt that its a Trojan, it appears to me to be some **** using these forums and making use of members names. The forum I am thinking mainly about we often put down email addresses, stupid I know. To the best of my knowledge, the other 'supposed' forum member, does not use this forum. Having looked at that email again, both the one to me and this one were via btinternet.com.

Best Wishes.
    Robert.

Thanks

I've had e-mails from "Norman" twice today. I've been in contact with Norman on several occasions on this forum, and immediately saw this as a scam. I find it difficult to see him incurring £2,600+ on the trips he is likely to make. And he has the mental faculties to solve this in many other ways! Embassy for instance? Scam indeed!

Stein

Thanks

Here is more information on these type of trojans or worms as they call them
    http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/tech/Email-Scams-83600577.html

It takes more than just finding email addresses found on the internet since the trojan actually sends the emails from your computer/hacked address book so it looks like it came from you - which it actually has however you have no control over it. A copy of the faudulant emails will usually be in your outbox (however there are ways around that to). Apparently it can happen from hacked facebook accounts as well. If its not a trojan then someone may have somehow gotten Norman's email address and password, logged in and manually sent the email to everyone in his address book.

It has probably gone to everyone in Norman's address book irregardless of the email address that can be found on this forum. As I say the best prevention is to keep your anti-virus up to date.

Cheers
    Rodger
    Last edited by rmventuri; 18th July 2012 at 00:15.
    In remembrance of the crew of Halifax HR732
    51 Squadron Snaith - All LWT Leipzig 4 December 1943

Thanks

I've had this email too, several times. The last one I had claimed to be from a friend of mine in Canada who was stuck in...... Merthyr Tydfil!! I kid you not...
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

If he claimed to be stuck in Merthyr Tydfil, he's in serious trouble on many different scores - even my German Shepherd Dog, breathed a sigh of relief as soon as we turned on to the Heads of the Valley road, the day I bought him: - and he and I both have a Welsh pedigree - in a manner of speaking!!!!

Thanks

Another rafcommands member's contacts received this email about 2 years ago .So looks like it's still "on the go " !

Anne

Thanks

I have just this moment read this thread with amazement over what's been going on. The first thing I must say is thank you all for alerting me to this attack. It makes sense as my nephew rang me last night to say my email address went back to him as spam. My continual updated system is weekly scheduled to carry out a full scan - BT internet 'net protect plus' in association with McAfee - but I have never noticed any gremlins etc. being found . So much for relying on that protection plus. I'm now closing down everything - deleting my address book, creating a new email address etc.., till I'm certain I have it sorted.

I must apologise for the rubbish being sent to my RAFC forum friends. It must be quite worrying for you but I must assure you I am now mugging up on how best to deal with it. It being the first ever external threat to ever invade me. A further scan of my system (BT McAfee 'net protect plus') has just been completed and again, results show no Trojans/worms existing.

Now I am about to ring BT for advice. Meanwhile, any other suggestions welcomed.

Angry Norman alias namrondooh

Thanks

Norman if nobody has suggested to you so far you need to download free software "Malwarebytes" and run that on your computer. However you will have to redo all your logins afterwards.

Steve