Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ferry Command records of flights

Thanks

Default Ferry Command records of flights

Hi all,

I have recently been reviewing the service file of one of my men who was with 45 ATG. He was lost in a Ventura GR V somewhere between Trinidad and Africa.

On his service record, it just mentions his arrival at Dorval and then a couple of train trips. Then, some six months later he is listed as missing.

How can I find out more details about how many flights he made and when? I have a photograph of him and a Ventura with a couple of crew members. I am wondering if the photo was taken before the fateful flight or whether he made several earlier flights and it could be any one of them.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    David

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Hi Dave:

The 45 Group (Ferry Command) aircrew assignment cards are held at the Directorate of History and Heritage in Ottawa. In all likelihood there will be a card for your man with details of his flights and return train/boat/ferry trips with dates, types, serial numbers, and in most cases, if it hasn't fallen off, a passport-style photo. There is usually a second card with a summary of the flights plus details on the main card of dob, where born, contact address, next of kin, etc.

If you go to the MMP Books web site and look for my CC Fortress book in the White series, you can download a PDF update which contains details of the cards and shows some samples.

Good luck!

Robert

Thanks

Thanks Robert, yet another reason for me to move to Ottawa someday!
    David

Thanks

I have had the opportunity to visit the centre and look at this information with great help from a fellow board membre. An inportant source for the flugts of the Danesin WHO were attach to 45 Group.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Thanks Mikkel. I have just read in the PDF update that Robert referred to, that the material is extensive and finding individual cases can be difficult. Did you find this to be true?

Robert, from your experience, how difficult would it be to find the records for my man?
    David

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Hi Dave:

Not difficult at all - they are filed alphabetically by aircrew member's last name (cards include pilots, navigators, radio operators and flight engineers). What's difficult is finding a specific aircraft or type as there is no cross-reference with the last names so one has to view every card to find, say, all the Fortress deliveries and then identify the crew members.

Cheers:

Robert

Thanks

Great, thanks again Robert. Do you have a researcher you have used for this, or did you do it all yourself? I have someone who goes to LAC regularly, but I'm not sure he'd want to branch out and do work at the DHH too.
    David

Thanks

Roberts answer fully reflect my own experience. My interest was a number of specific airmen that I knew by name, and furthermore to see, if any for me unknown Danes turned up. Hence I found the first ones first, and then browsed all cards to look for Danish names.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War

Thanks

Mikkel,

About how long did it take to go through all of the cards for your Danish-name search?

Errol

Thanks

Erroll,
    You question makes me wonder if I actually was through all of them, but recollection is that this is the case. A couple of hours, but as it was not my main objective it was not a very thorough search. Bevare also that typical Danish names are fairly easy to recognise among the average English/French. Furthermore I did not research Them at the spot, but took a photo of all with a potential.

Mikkel