Thread: National Archives - old file references

Thanks

Default National Archives - old file references

I've just come across a Met Office paper about war-time Met Flights that includes a considerable number of references to old Air Ministry file numbers (AM S.67120 or AM S.73962 for example). These are obviously long out of date, the NA having adopted new reference criteria some time ago, but has anyone ever fathomed out how to link the old numbers with the new?

A long shot I know.

Brian

Thanks

Brian

I am looking forward to a sheaf of helpful responses on this one.....

If you go to the paper index some of the old pages still list these 'S' references against the current piece number. I don't believe there is any pattern to what can be found and I believe when pages are reprinted for the paper index then the 'S' refs are removed. I have not been successful trying to search on the numbers in the digital Catalogue. I did ask one of the advisers for help/advice a few years ago but did not get anywhere.

For me it would be especially helpful in AIR 20 - all the files that were pulled out by AHB to write the official histories.

Steve

Thanks

Easy peasey...

Only because I sat down with the helpful staff at the TNA.

All credit to them - none to me I stress

Go to the advanced search

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp?SearchType=2

tick the search piece box

scroll down to former reference (department) put in the S number eg S60223

Hit search and voila:

AIR 2/4520

ROYAL AIR FORCE: Rescue Services (Code B, 67/33): Aircraft Distress Organisations: Co-ordination

Now the bad news

Not all the S reference files are catalogued in this way or had been originally transferred.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Like Steve I received a less than helpfull response when I asked the same question many moons ago.

My thanks for your response and explanation Ross, I'm sure it will be a great help to many. Unfortunately all my file references (and others I've tried) fall within the proviso of your last sentence. Darned nuisance.

Brian