Thread: Sunderland T9084, DQ-N, 228 Squadron ORB

Thanks

Default Sunderland T9084, DQ-N, 228 Squadron ORB

Hi,

I was hoping a forum member would have 228 Squadrons ORB for May 1942 which hopefully details the crash of Sunderland T9084. I am hoping to confirm whether the Sunderland was piloted by F/Lt. R. R. Briscoe (this could be Robert Rowland BRISCOE (42795)) OR F/O Sean Briscoe?? The ORB for July 1942, which I have, only mentions a F/Lt. R. R. Briscoe.

Many thanks in advance,

Russ

Thanks

Hi Russ

Pilot was F/O R R Briscoe, 42795

At about 14.20 hrs the Sunderland stalled and crashed at Gasay Island, Loch Boisdale, while landing. A light southerly wind was blowing, with a moderate sea, and it was very cold. The sea transport officer of Loch Boisdale called out two herring drifters, each with a crew of five and boarded along with a party of six sappers from the R.E. Docks Group. The aircraft had disappeared behind an island in the middle of Loch Boisdale, and when the herring drifters reached it, six minutes after the crash, they found twelve of the crew of fourteen, some on the wings of the aeroplane, some on the rocks close by, and two or three half in the water and clinging to the rocks. Most of the men were injured and suffering from cold and shock. One of the herring drifters returned at once to harbour for blankets and brought out additional helpers, a clergyman, a police sergeant, a supervisor of the auxiliary coastguard and men of the R.A.F. Two crofters, who had seen the accident, had also put out in their own open motor boat. The three boats quickly brought the twelve airmen ashore. When the tide fell, the bodies of the other two airmen were found in the wrecked flying boat. The officer commanding at the Royal Air Force Station at Benbecula wrote that there could be no doubt that it was due to the speed with which the rescue had been organised and carried out that more lives had not been lost. Included with the crew were four passengers, Lt Marshall, S/L Legge-Willis a Signals Officer, S/L Brett and F/O Jenner from Operations Staff.

S/L Hollins is buried in Pennyfuir Cemetery, Oban, Argyllshire while P/O Jones rests in St.Helen Churchyard, Sefton, Lancashire.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Thats great Ross,

Thanks very much, just what I wanted to know.

Regards,

Russ