Thread: SAAF Artisan Certificate

Thanks

Default SAAF Artisan Certificate

Can anyone explain to me the reference Artisan Certificate which appears on a SAAF certificate of service.

This one has baffled me, thank you.

Thanks

Hi Colin,

It's a reference to the man attaining a recognised level of competence in his vocation or trade.

Usually for a skilled attainment similar to trade test in the RAF it also could be externally recognised eg apprenticeship, accountancy etc.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Colin/Ross,
    I was going to post that it was similar to the UK City & Guilds qualification(s) but was not sure how well known that set of qualifications was/is outside UK.
    They were/are well regarded. When I did my National Service we had a bloke in our hut at Square Bashing who had all sorts of City & Guilds qualifications. Drain Laying, Site Organisation, Materials Progression, etc, etc. I'm not sure of the right titles, but whereas failed Doctors were not even allowed to be Sick Bay Attendants (one such, on my intake, was made a Cook!!), and others with equal qualifications were made Wops, or Fighter Plotters, this bloke did his NS as a Sgt in 5001 Airfield Construction Sqn !! "They" must have just have wanted a Sgt Drain Layer on the day he went for his Trade Selection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 23rd July 2012 at 13:25.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

I am assuming this is a particular 'trate' with the SAAF, interestingly I have seen an attestation where the individual made reference to himself as an Artisan Pilot. This presumably means a qualified pilot prior to enlistment.

As always, thank you for the wonders of other peoples knowledge.

Thanks

Hi Colin

I suspect an Artisan Pilot was a qualified (SAAF) tradesman re-training as a pilot as opposed to a Pupil Pilot who was a direct entrant to pilt training

Malcolm