Thread: 42 Sqdn Beaufort loss 28 Dec 1940

Thanks

Default 42 Sqdn Beaufort loss 28 Dec 1940

Ross,
    The lecturers and students at my former school, Ratcliffe College, are building a Spitfire replica to commemorate its aviation heritage as an ATA Ferry Pool during WW II. They have chosen to use the markings of Plt Off Paul Baillon's Spitfire from 609 Sqdn in which he was lost on 28 Nov 1940. He was a former pupil of the College, as was his brother Flt Lt Mark Baillon, who was sadly killed exactly one month later on 28 Dec 1940.
    Although we have plenty of detail about Paul's last mission in which he was shot down by the German ace Helmut Wick, I can find little information about Mark's loss on 42 Sqdn. I have assumed that he might have been lost flying a Beaufort against a shipping target in Norway, but can find no details.
    I should be most grateful if you or any of your knowledgeable colleagues here could help with your excellent resources.
    Kind Regards
    Steve

Ref: Flt Lt Mark Rodney Baillon RAF 37147 d. 28 Dec 1940.

Thanks

From Ross's work, Coastal Command Losses 1939-41.....
    Beaufort N1162, AW.G. Took off from Wick at 13.50 with other a/c to attack a tanker off Trondheim. Last seen off Sumburgh, Shetland, on return journey. Logbook and wreckage found off Kirkwall, Orkney.
    F/Lt M.R. Baillon, MiD.
    P/O L.S. Hill, RCAF.
    P/O J.H. Gow.
    Sgt C.F. Young.

Thanks

Alan,
    Thank you for the details, which confirms my initial hunch from the attached Canadian website which talks about the navigator on that last flight, Plt Off Lawrence Hill.
    http://www.legionmagazine.com/en/index.php/2011/04/dropping-fish-air-force-part-44/

I had assumed that Mark had been the pilot, but had no confirmation until now. New Year's Eve 1940 must have been a very sad time for the Baillon family losing two sons within a month. Mark played rugby for our local team the Northampton "Saints" and his father Louis won a Gold medal for Great Britain in the 1908 Olympics. His uncle was Major General Joseph Baillon MC. They were quite a family.
    I find it is these personal touches that lift each loss out of the mass of statistics and back into the realm of individual tragedy that blighted so many families.
    I hope to write a background of the family to go with the Spitfire replica so that the school students can get a connection with the human side of the story rather than just the awe of the aircraft that they will see.
    Thanks again for the help.
    Steve
    P.S. I have found the MiD recorded in the London Gazette, but I don't suppose anyone has any steers on where to search for the details?
    Last edited by Flying Blunty; 25th July 2012 at 10:41.