Thread: Acting Ranks.

Thanks

Default Acting Ranks.

I’m trying to get to grips with my late fathers various ranks usiing the operational record book data and his service record.

From Monthly summary in ORB’s

7 September 1945
    ‘Authority received for relinquishment of acting ranks with effect from 29/8/45, in respect of the undermentioned officers.
    F/O (A/F/L) G.E.HEROD, DFC (158615) GD (S)’

‘18December 1945
    F/L G E HEROD, DFC (158615) GD(S) posted to H.Q.T.C. (Proceed 31/12/45) for Signals Briefing Duties.’

From service records.

Rank- F/O (w) with effect from 9/5/44
    - F/L (w) with effect from 9/11/45

From this I take it the subject was ’demoted’ from A/F/L from 29/8/45 (ORB listing)
    Re-instated to full F/L on 9/11/45 (service record)

How did the system work for promoting/demoting, and did this mean changing the rank on uniform

Any help gratefully received.
    Paul H

Thanks

The rank yo yo has been discussed a few times on the board.

A search by Google will bring up the various threads which will answer most of what you want.

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?12959-Can-Anyone-Explain-Why-RAF-Ranks-Promotions-Yo-yo-Up-and-Down-WW-2-please

This is a very good primer on the subject.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Thanks Ross,
    I need to put my thinking head on to read the suggested thread.

PaulH

Thanks

Hi Paul

The word demotion in respect of acting ranks is incorrect.

You are demoted from one substantive rank to another substantive rank if you finish being employed in a post to which you are given acting rank you 'Revert' to your substantive rank

Malcolm

Thanks

Paul,
    I think there is an error in your explantion which tends to subvert your train of thought;

Thanks

My last message was accidentally "fired" prematurley! So I will retype, without including my own errors!

First of all it should be addressed to Malcolm, not Paul.

I think there is an error in your explanation which has the effect of derailing your train of logic. If the first two mentions of "substantive" are deleted, then the whole thing makes a lot more sense. As pointed out already, the word "demotion" should NEVER be used in this context, as a demotion is a serious disciplinary measure taken against an individual for the perceived performance (or lack thereof!) of some specific action which is viewed with extreme disfavour by the powers that be. Reversion is thus the correct term as this describes (without any stigma whatsoever) a perfectly normal administrative action on ceasing duties in an appointment which carries additional responsibilities (usually of a command and discipline nature as well as administrative) which justifies a higher (acting) rank and therefore, if stated, additional pay, as in the term "Flying Officer " (Acting Flight Lieutenant, Paid) when referring to rank of the individual concerned.
    David D

Thanks

I hasten to add (on reflection) that the normal wording used for an officer (or NCO), when he/she was being posted to a new unit where they were NOT filling a staff post or appointment carrying a higher rank (as had the preceding unit), that the individual concerned was described as "relinquishing" the acting rank and "reverting" to substantive rank, with date of seniority of latter often repeated, just to make clear the details necessary for the calculation of rates of pay, etc. Just a fine point, but that is how these circumstances were expressed in official documntation at the time, and probably still is, more or less. Of course in the RAF of WW2, the substantive rank of an individual was normally expressed as "W" or "WS" for "War" (Substantive), which operated under entirely different conditions to normal (peace time) conditions. "WS" conditions would have to be entirely re-jigged when conditions returned to peacetime circumstances, and a new peace-time establishment was agreed by the government, at which point all commissions, ranks, etc. would have to be recalculated and new condtions of service promulgated.
    David D

Thanks

Hi David

I agree with both your comments but was attempting to keep the explanation as simple as possible

Malcolm
    ex Acting Flt Lt (paid)