Thread: May 4th 1934 3 FTS Avro Tutor Collision at Boothby Pagnell, Lincs

Thanks

Default May 4th 1934 3 FTS Avro Tutor Collision at Boothby Pagnell, Lincs

I know it is a very long shot but can anyone ID the three crewmen involved in the following collision on 4th May 1934 between Avro Tutor I K2505 and avro Tutor I K3224 of 3 FTS based at RAF Grantham during a loop. Both aircraft were abandoned successfully.
    Western Daily Press
    Sat 05 May 1934
    'PLANES COLLIDE IN LOOP AND AIRMEN JUMP
    Trio Land Safely by Parachutes. Two pilot officers and an aircraftman attached to the Third Flying Training School of the Royal Air Force had a thrilling experience yesterday. In two Avro machines they were flying over Boothby Pagnell (Lincolnshire) some four miles from Grantham aerodrome. When an altitude of of about 5,000 feet they started to loop the loop. During this operation they collided, and as the aeroplanes were quickly descending the three jumped. The parachutes acted effectively and they landed safely in a field quarter of a mile away from where the aeroplanes crashed. The machines were wrecked and both engines were buried the ground.
    Western Morning News
    Sat 05 May 1934
    Mr Lax a farmer, of Boothby on whose land the two aeroplanes crashed, said that he was in the yard when he noticed the machines great height flying abreast. They began to loop the loop, and when doing so they collided, and both machines locked together and began to fall. He saw the three airmen jump from together and began to fall. He saw the three airmen jump from the machines with their parachutes, and watched them land in a field a quarter of a mile them land in a field a quarter of a mile away. He found the 'planes about yards apart, absolutely smashed to pieces. One of the airmen told his wife that the cause was a current of wind. One had a scratch on his face.
    Note: The Mail (Adelaide, SA) has crew listed as 'Flying Officer , Sergeant and 'Mechanic'

Many Thanks

Paul

Thanks

Hello Paul,

I took the opportunity to check this incident out in the local paper's archive (Grantham Journal) but found nothing. I am guessing this did not get reported as there were no fatalities and the local coroner was thus not involved.

Regards,

Ian

Thanks

Ian

Thanks for looking for me.. I have to hope of newspapers did report something!

Paul

Thanks

Paul,

Just a thought as it appears you data comes from Australian newspapers would it follow that one of those involved was Australian ?
    So if anyone has details of Australians under training or instructing at Grantham this may be a start.

Ian

Thanks

Here you go Paul,

Pilot of Tutor K3224 F/O H F Chester
    Pilot of K2505 was Sgt Middleton with AC1 J H Lewis as passenger

Another one off the list !

Regards,

Ian

Thanks

Hello,

Re your F/O H F Chester (Tutor K3224):

See: BCL7/13 (14-4-40, No.17 OTU., Blenheim L1264), & BCL1/84 (2-7-40, No.82 Sqn., Blenheim P6895).

Col.

Thanks

Ian

Thank you so much for supplying these names.. I find it interesting that I could not find much info in UK papers about this including the ranks etc. However The Mail (Adelaide, SA) has crew listed as 'Flying Officer , Sergeant and 'Mechanic' -which matches the ranks you kindly provided.. On to the next mystery bailouts watch this space!