Thread: Anson EF969

Thanks

Default Anson EF969

Hi,

I wonder does anybody have the ORB for the Central Navigational School for 20th January, 1944 or the 1180 for Anson EF969? This aircraft ditched in the Irish sea on the above date and Sgt. H.E. Whitaker, the pilot, was the only survivor despite all the crew getting into their dinghy. I am trying to find out if Sgt. Whitaker was eventually picked up by an ASR craft or did he manage to make it ashore.

Thanks for any help

Stevie

Thanks

Here is what the ORB had to say about the loss,

January 20th 1944, 12:15 Hours, “Flying accident to Anson aircraft. An Anson whilst flying over the Irish Sea force landed and the crew took to the dinghy. The crew, P/Officer Whittaker 156132 Pilot, 1577501 Sgt Davey, 1022293 F/Sgt Wright and 640708 Sgt Wise were the crew. The forced landing occurred at 12:15 hours. Weather conditions were extremely bad being rough cold and wet. The crew Sgt Davey, F/Sgt Wright and Sgt Wise died during the same night of exhaustion following exposure. The survivor was rescued (P/O Whittaker) and admitted to Station Sick Quarters Barrow. Progress is satisfactory, the dinghy was found on 23/1/44.”

The dinghy was washed ashore on Walney Island, the No.10 AGS ORB recorded it with the following from the unit & station sick quarters sections:

January 23rd 1944, “A Rubber dinghy was today washed ashore at the Bombing Range Walney Island. The occupants were: F/Sgt Wright G.C. 11022293 (deceased) Sgt Wise L.E.C. 640708 (deceased) Sgt Davey E.W. 1577501 (deceased) and P/O Whittaker H.E. 15613 (alive). Crew of an Anson belonging to Royal Air Force Station, Cranage, which crashed in the sea off the North Coast of Wales.”

January 22nd 1944, SSQ, “Message received 156132 P/O Whittaker H.E. had been found in road at Biggar Bank, Pilot of Anson F4 from Cranage which landed in sea t 12.30 hours 20.1.44. Ambulance proceeded to house and brought him to Station Sick Quarters alive. At 04.30 hours a further message was received to say that Dinghy with 3 other airmen had been found at South Island. 1022293 F/Sgt Wright G.C. (Pilot), 640708 Sgt Wise L.E. (W.Op/AG), 1577501 Sgt Davey E.W. (Pilot) brought back by ambulance, all having died from exposure.”
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Default Anson EF969

Hi Al,

Thanks for that information, its just what I was looking for to confirm the details I had on the crew and the circumstances of P/O Whittakers survival.

Regards,

Stevie