Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 540 Squadron O.R.B.

Thanks

Default 540 Squadron O.R.B.

Good day to all

I am researching several RCAF personnel who were killed in action. To be thorough I am downloading the ORBs of RAF Squadrons. One thing I noticed that in the 540 Squadron for April 1944, there is no mention of a downed aircraft, Mosquito LR 416, which crashed in Bershire on 13 April 1944. Is this common for the ORBs to lack details like this? I was looking for it's taget of reconnaissance. If so, I won't download the other documents.

Thanks for the information

Danny
    Remembering Gunner Robert Béland (1919-2012), 5th L.A.A., R.C.A., Canadian Army, WWII

Thanks

Unfortunatley, ORB's do have their mistakes and omissions, which i have found out on many occasions, and can be very annoying to say the least, but you should'nt let it stop you from still downloading them.
    Mosquito LR416, took off from Benson at 09.50, tasked to Munich. Developed a problem, and crew were forced to return. Last seen diving out of cloud, with a wing coming off before crashing at Kingston Bagpuize. Primary cause put down to the detachment of the escape hatch. (Mosquito Photo Reconnaisance Units of WW2. Martin Bowman.)

Thanks

Hi Danny,

F/O C.C. DREW and Sgt J.I. SHAER's sortie on 13 Apr 44, in LR416, is mentioned in both the F.540 and F.541 of the 540 Sqn ORB. As Alan says objective was the Munich area. F.540 notes that aircraft wirelessed returning to base at 10:35 but crashed near Abingdon at 11:10

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum

Thanks

Thanks Guys.

Andy I think I need a course on how to search the ORBs as I just did the search again and only come up with AIR 27/2007/37. Where or how do I search for your references, F.540 and F.541? Much appreciated

Danny
    Remembering Gunner Robert Béland (1919-2012), 5th L.A.A., R.C.A., Canadian Army, WWII

Thanks

Danny,
    If i read your last post correctly, you are only looking at the ORB references. You cannot actually access the ORB from the NA's online website , you have to purchase it. The ORB is made up of two sections, the F.540 Summary of Events, (a sort of day to day diary) and F.541 Details of Work, which gives details of targets, crews, aircraft serials etc etc....
    Last edited by AlanW; 4th August 2012 at 14:06.

Thanks

Hi Alan

I think I have it. In this case would it be under: Squadron Number: 540 B flight Appendices 01 May 1942 - 28 Feb 1945. I see this record group is 288 pages.

My apologies for the rookie questions, I am not used to dealing with the UK Archives, only the Canadian ones.
    Thanks

Danny
    Last edited by dannybou; 4th August 2012 at 15:38.

Thanks

What you need is the Summary of Events and Record of Events for April 44 to see the details of the loss, but still get the Appendices, as 288 pages for the price paid, is a good deal.

Thanks

Danny,

The file you would be interested in is AIR 27/2007.

If you like I will send you the relevant F.540 and F.541 covering 13 Apr 44. Send me an e-mail (in my profile).

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher

Thanks

Could anyone confirm whether the 540 Squadron ORB identifies the reason for a reconnaissance mission and the outcome?.

I am particularly interested in flights on 8th February 1945 and 14th February 1945 as I understand that reconnaisance of Bonn-Beuel was undertaken to look for a downed aircraft (lost on 4th February 1945).

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Hi Pete,

The 540 Sqn ORB usually lists the objective and outcome of each sortie.

Berst Regards

Andy Fletcher