Thread: A long shot - Spitfire crash in Cardiff

Thanks

Default A long shot - Spitfire crash in Cardiff

A bit of a long shot, because I have so little information, but on the off-chance it rings a bell with someone....

I've been talking to a local chap here in Cardiff who has told me of local folklore regarding a Spitfire that crashed into mudflats while trying to land at RAF Pengam Moors in WW2, apparently in fog. I know there's next to nothing to go on, and I've tried Google, but does this ring any bells with anyone who can give me any more details?

TIA,

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

G'day Greg,

A wild stab in the dark here, but a combination of Google and http://www.airhistory.org.uk/spitfire/home.html throws up no results for 'Pengam'. 'Cardiff', however, returns 2 results:-

Serial: P9454 Mk: Ia Construction no.: 617 Factory: EA Engine: MIII History: FF 6-4-40 8MU 8-4-40 92S 4-6-40 engine failed force-landed in bog nr Cardiff P/O Bartley safe 5-7-40 1CRU 65S 26-8-40 shot down over Tilehurst Sussex aircraft abandoned dbf 1-12-40

Although it sounds like this one was recovered and repaired.

Much later, however, is:

Serial: SP146 Mk:
    Seafire III
    Construction No.: Factory: COA Engine: GVI History: RNDA 21-4-45 33MU 22-4-45 To Cardiff overshot landing Cat B 2-7-45 (F/Lt G Lockley RAF injured)

Some potential starting points, anyway. I suspect that the true answer is that it was another aircraft type entirely which, through the magic of folklore, became a 'Spitfire'.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks

Hi RecklessRat,

Many thanks for the reply and the "gen". I agree with your suggestion that folklore does tend to morph many different aircraft types into another!! For many years there was a Halifax parked at Pengam Moors, until well into the 60s I believe, long after flying had ceased from there. The Halifax had previously been used for training RAF fire crews. Even now this is often reported as a Lancaster, even in the local media where it crops up occasionally!!

I'm going to start with the first of your suggestions as I have no provenance that the aircraft wasn't recovered, and knowing the muddy banks of the River Rhymney alongside the former Pengam Moors as well as I do, I suspect it could have been misreported as a bog.

Thanks again, I appreciate your input :)

L/O

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945