Thread: help about a plate from an electrical apparatus from a Bristol Blenheim

Thanks

Default help about a plate from an electrical apparatus from a Bristol Blenheim

Hello,

A good friend of mine picked up some bits on the surface from the crash site of Bristol Blenheim Mk IV L9467, lost on 30th June 1940, the crew of P/O Quirke surviving to become PoW. Only one fragment is interesting, but unfortunately incomplete. It bears the following inscriptions, the first line is missing some letters due to the explosion and exposure of the parts to the elements since 1940 :
    ..... OMS.... HOUSTON
    C Ltd
    SERIAL N 3983
    LT HT
    VOLTS - 14 VOLTS - 1200 EARTH
    AMPS - 12.5 m-AMPS - 72
    SPEED - 5800 R.P.M.

I have several books on the Blenheim, like Warrener's, and the Squadron Signal, but I can't find any detail about this place in these books.

I know it's a long shot, can anyone please give me any clue about this electrical piece from a Blenheim ?

TIA

Joss

Thanks

Hi Joss,

I do not know the exact piece but from the data plate it is a rotary voltage converter.

Takes the 12 - 14vdc aircraft supply and transforms to 1200 vdc for use in the radio system for the valve power supplies.

eg Low Tension LT to High Tension HT

In practice this is an extended dc motor operating at 12 vdc directly coupled to a generator/dynamo producing 1200 vdc from the rotary shaft.

Manufacturer would be BTH (British Thomson Houston)

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hello

thanks for your explanations Ross. I wasn't sure whether it was a converter or a generator with two possible currents.

Also the British Thomson Houston name.

Have a nice Sunday

Cheers

Joss

Thanks

Default Bristol Blenheim L9467

Joss,

Where was this item picked up ? A more precise location other than what is currently documented as 'south-east of St Omer' would be most helpful to those trying to document such events more precisely. Many thanks.

Peter C

Thanks

Hello Peter,

The location where P/O Quirke force-landed Blenheim L9467 is no secret. It's located in Herbelles and has been covered in my friend Hugues Chevalier's book "crashes sur le Pas-de-Calais" published in 2006. Hugues lives in that village, so he knew a lot about this event. Over 20+ years he regularly visited the spot after the harvesting season and found some tiny bits and fragments. I clearly remember offering you help to clear up some locations for your book "The Battle of France then and now" but you were not interested at the time....

The pilot set fire to the Blenheim after the forced-landing and the Blenheim exploded moments later. Last 30th June, we were there on the spot at the almost exact time of the forced-landing, with the son of Kenneth Murray, the wireless operator of that very Blenheim, who had passed away a year before. He scattered the ashes of his late father in Ecques cemetery. The forced-landing site in the fields was not suitable for this purpose.

Ken's son explained that this event definitively left a mark on his father's life, hence the decision to scatter the ashes in France.

Incidentally Francis Roche's ashes had also been scattered in Ecques cemetery previously, alongside the graves of his former crewmates. He was the only survivor in S/L Pilling's crew, as you know.

Joss

Thanks

Default Blenheim L9467

Hello Joss,

I don't recall your very kind offer but thank you for the further details.

Peter C