Thread: F/S John Middleton RAFVR 158 squadron

Thanks

Default F/S John Middleton RAFVR 158 squadron

Can anyone tell me how F/S John Middleton RAFVR-w/op/a/g killed 4/3/1945 and buried at Harrogate met his death.

Eddie Fell Guest

Hi Linda

Flew as Wireless Operator to F/Lt. C.A. Rogers on Operations to Kamen

On returning to base, the aircraft was shot down by a Ju. 88 night fighter and crashed at Sledmere Grange killing all on board. This was one of the Operation Gisela casualties

The aircraft was PN437 NP-X

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Hi Linda
    Chorley in "In Brave Company" briefly mentions this loss, naming only the Capt., and seems to attribute it to an intruder, which also hit at least one other Halifax on approach, wounding the rear gunner.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Default Linda

Thank you Eddie & Dick.I was asked to look up this man for one of my old POW's who was his friend and that ties in with what he mentioned,that he thought Middleton was killed on returning home,but wanted to know more details.Thanks so much!

Eddie Fell Guest

Hi Linda

Owing to intruder activity over the airfield, this aircraft was diverted to Middleton St. George. The aircraft responsible was possibly that of possibly that of Hptm Dreher 13/NJG3 which later crashed after hitting a tree close to Elvington airfield and crashed onto a house killing three civilians. If your man would like a crew photo I'm happy to oblige.

The rear gunner mentioned by Dick was F/Sgt. Arthur Tait in the crew of F/O. W.P. Strachan RAAF. Some publications record him as being killed but Chorley has it correct although 'Archie' was hospitalised and never flew again

This was Middletons 31st Op

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Default linda

Hi Eddie,many thanks for the extra info.My pow(Gordon Tisbury of 405 Sqdn see bombercrew.com 405 Sqdn Galleries) was really upset when he found that his old friend "Johnny" Middleton had been killed so near to the end of the war,and also before he himself arrived home.Yes,if you have a crew photo,i can print it off,as he doesn't have a computer,and mail it to him
    Much appreciated Linda-
    cathogs2000@yahoo.co.uk