Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National Archives Estimate, am i going mad!!

Thanks

Default National Archives Estimate, am i going mad!!

I put an experimental request to the NA for an estimate to copy a whole ORB, (1943 to 45) but instead of asking to be put on CD and sent by post, i clicked on "Download from site" just to see the cost. I am rather confused with the estimate i have just recieved, which is only for £10. Now, am i going round the twist, or is there something about this that i do not know, before accepting? seems to good to be true.
    Alan.

Thanks

Hi Alan,

I went through the same procedure to see whether I could download an ORB, rather to have it sent by snail mail. My estimate showed the correct prices for ORB's (about 20-23 Pounds each) and no costs for the CD and postage.

I waited for an email to download the stuff, however it was delivered by CD anyway. So I only saved some additional costs, it seems that they've made some mistakes with your estimate. Should try it anyway....

Regards,
    Hans

Thanks

Hans,
    I put in a normal request for ORB to be put on CD and posted to me, and it came back as £25.24. But at the same time, i also put in for one to be downloaded, and it came back as £10, which does not make sense to me, as in the past, downloading has always been one of the expensive options. I think i might contact the NA to see if that is correct.

Thanks

Alan

Isn't that round about the right price for downloading 3 years worth of ORB's, indivdual years are £3.36 - depends if the download includes the record of events and the summary of events. If it does then it's a half price bargain!

Dave

Thanks

Hi Dave,
    I know that individual months are £3.36 to download, but have not seen it for individual years. I put in for the whole of 432 ORB which is AIR27/1860, but instead of ticking "Digital Images" "By post". I ticked "Download from Documents Online" just out of curiosity. And i got the estimate for £10 this morning.
    Alan.

Thanks

My esperience reflects Hans'.

Could it be related to foreign orders/domestic orders?

I have ordered "to download" for several years - mainly to reduce time rather than cost - but have always been e-mailed a CD. The price has been £ 23 for the first and £ 20 for the following ORBs.

Of course I would love to pay only £ 10, but on the other hand £ 20-23 is a bargain compared to the beginning of my (not that long) research history. I have paid £ 50-80 for some ORBs if I remember correctly. I have the following deal with my wife: she does not comment on the amount of money spent on my ORB-collection, I rarely comment on her collection of shoes...

Just to share my experience.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Hi Alan

I obviously had a bit of senior moment - you're right, of course, it's £3.36 a month not a year! Doh!

Dave

Thanks

I requested an estimate last month for 3 years of the 130 Squadron ORB. The quote was £10 for digital download.
    I paid the £10 and have not heard a thimg until today when a CD arrived with 3 years of ORB for £10. Result!

Thanks

Currently having a real issue with the NA, I too ordered a number of ORBís for £10 complete. I even telephoned the NA to clarify that the £10 was for the entire war time period. I was told that the cost was correct and that it included all pieces. I ordered 19 ORBís, the first batch of five turned up today, and guess what they only covered the first piece, to say I have the hump is an underestimate ( just like the NA!!!! )

I telephoned the NA today and put in a complaint, I have been sent 19 revised estimates, sadly however I cannot look at them as the six digit reference number issued by the NA is not recognised. !!!!
    Rant over back to my single malt !!
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Steve,
    You're not alone on the subject of the reference number. Four out of my last five estimates had the same problem, typed in the "ref" and they all came up as not recognised. I'n the end, i had to phone the N/A to confirm that i wanted them.