Thread: Fg Off A P HUCHALA (RCAF J/25362)

Thanks

Default Fg Off A P HUCHALA (RCAF J/25362)

Hello All,
    I have noted that the subject Officer was awarded the DFC in the LG for 10 Apr 45. Elsewhere, he appears to have returned to Canada with 431 Sqn in the summer of 1945.
    In the early/mid 50's there was a Wg Cdr Flying called Huchala at RAF Wittering (Lincolns in them days!).
    Is this possibly the same man? And, further, is the name Huchala of indigenous Canadian origin or - possibly - of central European origin?
    Can anyone shed any light on this? It's just that I'm clearing out some old personal files (from 50+ yrs ago!) and the name appeared. Loose ends to be tidied up before I consign the bits of paper to the shredder!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Thanks

There is information on his DFC, his wartime career and his post-war career listed here:

http://www.airforce.ca/wwii/ALPHA-HU.HY.html

A

Thanks

Amrit,
    Very many thanks for that link. Yup, it's the same man!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Default Huchala and useful book

Huchala was one of many RCAF and CAF personnel who, over the years, has served on exchange duties with the RAF and other air forces. A useful book would be "Canada's Air Forces on Exchange" by Larry Milberry - see http://www.canavbooks.com/.

Thanks

Hugh,
    Thanks for the book link. The reason I asked the original question was that although I saw him in the Met Office at Wittering almost every time I was on duty I cannot remember him wearing the "Canada" shoulder flash (age and infirmity, no doubt!).
    But what I do remember is that one foggy morning the crews (in for Met briefing) were muttering that they wouldn't be able to see the runway lights at take-off. Yr man Huchala said "Wait" and disappeared. 10 minutes later he reappeared and announced "I've just been down the runway in my sports-car at near enough take-off speed. I could see three lights. Off you go!"!!!!!!!!! And they did - but as the mission was just a routine, boring, Navex round the UK the crews were probably just 'trying it on'! The fact that there was an Inter-Wing rugby match in the afternoon might have had something to do with it!!!!
    Thanks again
    Peter Davies