Thread: 104 squadron Wellington, Oct 11, 1941

Thanks

Default 104 squadron Wellington, Oct 11, 1941

104 squadron Wellington

Have read an account of the loss of 12 FTS Oxford AB767 that collided with a Ju88C night intruder over Grantham on October 11, 1941. The e/a flown by Lt Hans Hahn also crashed nearby. This account states that prior to this contact Hahn had exchanged fire with a 104 squadron Wellington near Filey. Can anyone confirm the contact with the Wellington or is this being confused with Hahnís claim of a Wellington of the same unit on August 16 ?

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Thanks

Page 81 of the book "Intruders Over Britain" by Simon W Parry, may provide the answer you seek.

The account talks about Hahn returning to service after a take-off crash and at 0001 hours on 16-17 August, he attacked and destroyed a Wellington of 104 Sqn, piloted by 'Sgt Stephenson'. The loss is recorded by an account of PC Hollingsworth of East Retford Police.

I have not cross checked to see what Chorley has to say about this but the account then talks about Hahn next attacking and colliding with Oxford AB767 ex-Harlaxton on 11 October. The summary goes on to describe events at Hahn's base when he FTR'd and how the news was broken to his elderly father, whose wife was seriously ill and to whom Hans was an only child.

Hope this helps but if you are unable to do so, I'll look at Chorley later to see what it says about the Wellington.

As Hahn was killed it might prove difficult to link his crew with a Wellington the same night. The account says that at least five other crews were operating that night but it makes no mention of their experiences.

Colin Cummings
    Last edited by Oldduffer; 17th August 2012 at 05:29.

Thanks

Hello Colin,

Many thanks for your input. I have the BCL volumes and did look last night. The Wellington loss on Aug 16 is recorded but does not give a cause.

Details of Luftwaffe combats were transmitted back to base soon after the event, but with many records lost the event I seek is probably lost in the "mists of time"

If there was an exchange between the Ju88 and a Wellington on Oct 11 hopefully it might get a mention in the 104 sqdn ORB. Maybe a case for sending £3:50 to the NA !

Regards,

Ian

Thanks

The 104 sqdn ORB extracts available from the online NA service do not reveal a combat between any of their Wellingtons v Ju88 on Oct 11, 1941. Looks like the account I have seen is in error and a duplication of the Wellington loss in August.

Ian