Thread: Mystery Pre-War RAF Pilot Oscar Llewellyn Richards

Thanks

Default Mystery Pre-War RAF Pilot Oscar Llewellyn Richards

Oscar Llewellyn Richards was born in 1898 learn't to fly in the late 1920's with the Midland Aero Club and was the owner of DH80 Moth G-ABCR from May 1932 to November 1937. It appears he died in Bournmouth in 1991

All well and good.. However here is the mystery bit. He wrote an article for the Feb 1937 issue of Popular Flying as 'O R Richards' he had to bale out of an Avro 504N - He does not give a date but he says he as 'stationed at a Royal Air Force aerodrome in Lincolnshire". It was “Lynx Avro,” type 504 N which was "on test after one of its inspections‘ in the Aeroplane Repair Section.” and he fell out of aeroplane while it was inverted and the planed crashed into a field.

That is all I know - No date or any other clues.

The interesting bit is I cannot find any RAF officer with the name Oscar Llewellyn Richards , so he may have been a Sgt Pilot - I has to be after 1928 and before 1937 - But can anybody ID a possible incident - The RAF Lincs may provide a clue? RAF Grantham ? Cranwell ?

Thanks

Update

Can't find him on AIR 78

Can't find him in London Gazette

Thanks

Hi, Oscar Llewelln Richards was my grandfather. He did indeed pass away in Bournemouth. He was known amongst friends as Fred I believe - I don't know whether this helps. His wife was called Ruth and she passed away a few years later. I am his son's - Andrew John Marston Richards - daughter, Louienne, and my only knowledge is that he was an Alderman and nearly became Lord Mayor of Birmingham. I knew he flew planes and was one of the first to own/fly a private plane at that time. Any further information you could give me would be most welcome and hopefully I can fill in some gaps for you. My father, Andrew John Marston Richards was born in 1937 so your dates are correct. Would love any information you may have.

Thanks

Louienne

I have sent you a couple of emails with what Info I have on your grandfather

Paul