Found the following article in a local "wartime" magazine (actually October 1945 issue) which I thought somewhat unusual. Can anybody suggest a likely candidate for this "mass abandonment" of an aircraft (type Ventura) in this area (eastern Mediterranean)? I would guess that this type of harness sharing was not common.

GOING DOWN!
What happens when men have to bale out of an aeroplane and there are not enough parachutes to go around? The crew of a Ventura medium bomber found out.
The RAF plane took-off from a base in Palestine at nine o'clock one night on an anti-submarime patrol. Due to compass trouble, the plane went off course and some hours later the men decided they were lost. Fuel was running low. It was too dark to risk a forced landing in unknown country, and the pilot decided the men would have to jump. Then they discovered that an extra crew member, an assistant radio operator, had come aboard without his parachute.
"We had only four 'chutes among five crewmen", the pilot reported later. "The two smallest and lightest boys were tied together, front to back, with a piece of rope around their waists."
The man in front wore the parachute, an RAF type which opened from the chest. The lad on his back wrapped his arms around his companion's neck.

And that is all there is! Article seems somewhat truncated to me. I presume all survived the experience. However I would hazard the guess that this does not concern an RAF squadron, as none seem to have been operating the type from Palestine. One other possibility is a SAAF Squadron (under RAF control), perhaps No. 27? If this loss has been covered before on this Board, I apologize unreservedly!
David D