Thread: 225 Mu

neil armstrong Guest

Default 225 Mu

This unit was based at RAF Eastchurch,it was under the umbrella of 57 wing (southern ) Maintenance command.I notice from my fathers service record that it was his last posting prior to demob.Does anyone have an idea of its purpose.I would also be grateful for any info regarding 10 and 20 ITW.

Thanks NEIL

Bart FM Droog Guest

Hello Neil,

MU = Maintenance Unit
    ITW = Initial Training Wing

10 ITW Scarborough 1940 Dec - 1944 March
    20 ITW Bridlington and Usworth 1943 May - 1944 March

Source: <a href='http://www.worldwar2exraf.co.uk/acronyms%20A.htm'>RAF Abbreviations</a>.

Regards,

Bart

Thanks

Neil,

10 Initial Training Wing
    Formed 13 Dec 40 at the Grand Hotel, Scarborough. Disbanded 18 Jun 45.
    Aircrew trainees intended for pilot, navigator and air bomber roles underwent their basic training here.

20 Initial Training Wing
    Formed 29 May 43 at Bridlington. Moved to Usworth 6 Nov 43 and disbanded 21 Apr 44.
    Wireless Operator and Wireless Operator Mechanic trainees underwent their basic training here.

225 Maintenance Unit
    Formed 15 Jul 43 [ex 'K' MU?] as (Ground Equipment Depot) at Horningham Road, Warminster, Wiltshire (sattelite at Shepton Mallet); 28 Aug 44 to No. 57 Wing; (Aviation Fuel Depot/AFDD at Much Wenlock closed 13.4.46); reduced to depository basis 30.4.46. Disbanded 1 May 55.
    [AFDD is not explained in the book]

Source: 'RAF Flying Training and Support Units since 1912' by Sturtivant and Hamlin.

Errol