Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Youngest Bomber command casualty?

Thanks

Default Youngest Bomber command casualty?

Hi, I was checking out some RAF casualties and stumbled upon this entry on the CWGC, is this correct or could it be a typeing error..

BOOTH, DEREK ARNOLD
    Service No:1378781
    Date of Death:19/02/1943
    Regiment/Service:Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    467 Sqdn.
    Panel ReferencePanel 143.
    MemorialRUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL
    Additional Information:
    Son of Irvine and Eveline Booth, of Hale, Cheshire.

If proven correct he could be the youngest casualty for WW2?
    Rick

Thanks

Interesting topic. There was a previous thread on this subject;
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?10866-Oldest-and-Youngest-KIA-in-Bomber-Command

Ian Macdonald

Thanks

Jack Liddell, killed on the dams raid in May 1943, was born in June 1925, and enrolled in May 1941, about a month before his 16th birthday. He had completed a tour of operations, and earned the nickname 'killer' from his crew, before posting to 617 where he was killed aged 17.

Thanks

According to Ancestry Jack Riddell born September 1924 making him 18 as per CWGC. 6, 17 year olds on Runnymede, 2 in France, 4 in Germany all BC.

Thanks

Default Youngest Bomber Command Casualty ?

Hello,

I cannot recall if any of the Air Cadets killed were in Bomber Command aircraft when they were killed but were they younger than those mentioned in the above posts ?

Alex

Thanks

"According to Ancestry Jack Riddell born September 1924 making him 18 as per CWGC. 6, 17 year olds on Runnymede, 2 in France, 4 in Germany all BC. "

His date of birth of 22nd June 1925 was given to me directly by his sister in a letter a few years ago, along with specific details of the hospital he was born in. What documents do Ancestry refer to?

Thanks

Birth Marriages & Death Registrations

Thanks

You noted 'Jack Riddell' as opposed to Liddell. Is that a typo?

Thanks

Working from his parents, Irvine & Eveline, I've come up with just 1 marriage, Irvine D Booth married Eveline Denman in the Bucklow area of Cheshire (same district as Hale is in) in the June quarter of 1917. The only Derek A Booth whose mother's maiden name was Denman is Derek A D Booth, who was born in Barnsley in the June quarter of 1925.

As Derek Arthur Booth died in the quarter before his birth is apparently recorded in he could well have been younger than Jack Liddell (who was 36 days short of his 18th birthday). The least amount of time between Booth's death and his 18th is in theory 40 days, though a birth after about the 28th March could well be registered in the June quarter, so you're down to 37 days.

Interestingly there is a Derek A Booth in the December quarter of 1927, born in the Bucklow district but his mother was called Howarth. There were no Booth / Howarth marriages in the Bucklow area, the closest is Manchester.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Default Air Cadets

To respond to Alex.

There appears to be no central 'memorial/Roll of Honour' for air cadets but a number are recorded in the CWGC registers etc. My current research for an account on training aircraft shows some who died whilst flying in training aircraft and I seem to recall finding several who had lost their lives in operational aircraft but not on operations.

However, I think the initial post on this Thread related to 'killed on operations'. I doubt if there were any air cadets who would fall into that category. It may be recalled that a while ago there was a suggestion of a female being taken on operations and being killed but no proof of that ever emerged.

Colin Cummings