Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Youngest Bomber command casualty?

Thanks

Typo. Should read Liddell. I don't know if your family source told you but it looks like his father died in 1933 aged 34.

Thanks

Alex

I have 63 ATC deaths 1942-1947. 61 on CWGC. 2 killed on Hampden AT113 of 408 Sq aged 16, 3 on Lancaster JB153 of 103 Sq. ages 14 & 17(2), both losses on an air test. Only one loss due to enemy acction when a lorry was shot up by a Me110.

Thanks

Default ATC Cadet Losses

John Larder,

Please excuse the Thread drift but your comments about ATC cadet deaths is of considerable interest to me.

I tried a few years ago to persuade HQ Air Cadets that they should create a Roll of Honour for those air cadets who died whilst on duty (the ATC Wg to which I was attached at the time had had a female cadet murdered). I was 'fobbed off' with the; 'we don't have any records of these things'.

Please would you be prepared to share your records with me, so that I can return to the organisation with greater assurance of success this time. Perhaps a book in St Clement Danes Church or at the National Memorial Arboretum might then result.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Colin

Surprised at ATC attitude as most of my list came from Air Cadet Review. Pleased to pass on to you my research.

Thanks

John and Colin

After 27 years with the ATC, I am not surprised by HQAC's response.

A few years ago I had to inform them that at least three of my colleagues had either died, resigned to join the RAuxAF or 'retired' upto to 10 years previously but were still beng listed as active members of VR(T) in the AFL, not to mention the four officers who were supposed to be still Plt Offs having been commissioned in 1960 (this was the 2001 AFL)

Basically their staffing is barely adequate to cope with the day-to-day running of the organisation so I doubt they have the manpower to handle historical matters

Malcolm
    Last edited by malcolm_raf; 23rd August 2012 at 09:06. Reason: extra

Thanks

Default ATC Roll of Honour

John and Malcolm,

Thank you for your responses - albeit each from a different perspective.

Yes please, John, I would very much like your information. To that I can add the 'peacetime' accidental losses such as the cadet lost in Egypt, the cadet who was killed in the Martinet during the J A Quinton incident and the three cadets who died when their Wessex crashed in North Wales. These will come from my own research but I shall need to do some devilling to find the cadets killed in a bus crash on the A1 etc.

I sense the time is right for another 'push' on this because a new Commandant has just been appointed and has yet to be tarnished by the inertia which is to be found in some areas of the organisation (my last two renewals of VRT service have been actioned but the only reason I can confirm this actually happened is when either my claims are paid or a P60 turns up at year end!!).

The work will not cost the Air Cadets any money, as I shall do it as a personal project. They will then need to decide - if they want it done - as to how best to create the commemoration: a book in St Clement Danes, a book at the National Memorial Arboretum, a memorial at Cranwell. Thorny issues about cadets who died when not on 'duty' will be for somebody else to decide.

Thank you both for your interest in this and for your help.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

"Typo. Should read Liddell. I don't know if your family source told you but it looks like his father died in 1933 aged 34."

Hi John

Yes they did tell me, although they give the date as August 1934.

Thanks

Default Kiwi under 18...

Hi
    I seem to remember reading a story about a Kiwi lad who was under age and managed to persuade his mum that he was over 18 who was killed. Will have to go back and have a look. I think there is something on Wings Over New Zealand Forum but if not Errol Martyn will know! I am sure there were many who died who had lied about their age because they wanted to go to war!
    Dee

Thanks

Colin

I have emailed you my file.

Thanks

John,

File received and acknowledgement note coming over the the ether. Thank you for your help which I appreciate very much.

Colin Cummings