Thread: Operation Gomorrah 1943

Thanks

Default Operation Gomorrah 1943

Is there anyone interested in this operation on the forum?

Thanks

I hope you won't think me difficult. However, is your question to determine whether we would like to know or whether you would like somebody to tell you about it?

As with almost all things, there will be somebody who knows a good deal about it and others who would be keen to learn.

Please may I suggest you pitch a question or questions or post a piece to enlighten us. Either way is likely to start an interesting Thread from which we all benefit - sorry to appear a pompous twit; but I am.

Off to walk the dogs now - toodle pip.

Thanks

Just a minute "oldduffer" I don't think I am a "pompous twit" and I agree with you. It is difficult to know if we are interested until you know what it is all about.
    Now that yourv'e got us interested, "let it rip Borus"
    berkyboy

Thanks

Default Operation Gemorrah

Quote Originally Posted by BournFree View Post
    Is there anyone interested in this operation on the forum?
    I have been waiting to fond out about this operation so I "googled" it and part of what "Wikipedia" states is

"Battle of HamburgThe Battle of Hamburg, codenamed Operation Gomorrah, was a campaign of air raids beginning 24 July 1943 for 8 days and 7 nights. It was at the time the heaviest assault in the history of aerial warfare and was later called the Hiroshima of Germany by British officials.[6]

The Battle of Hamburg overlapped the Battle of the Ruhr which ended on 31 July.[citation needed] The operation was conducted by RAF Bomber Command (including RCAF and RAAF Squadrons) and the USAAF Eighth Air Force. The British conducted night raids with USAAF daylight raids.

On 24 July, at approximately 00:57, the first bombing started by the RAF and lasted almost an hour. A second daylight raid by U.S. Army Air Force was conducted at 4:40PM. A third raid was conducted on the morning of the 26th. The night attack of 26 July at 00:20AM was extremely light due to a severe thunderstorm and high winds over the North Sea during which a considerable number of bombers jettisoned the explosive part of their bomb loads (retaining just the incendiaries) with only two bomb drops reported. That attack is often not counted when the total number of Operation Gomorrah attacks is given. There was no day raid on the 27th."

There are a number of reports on "gemorrah" so if you are interested, I suggest that you do as I did.It makes very interesting reading.
    berkyboy

Thanks

"Gomorrah" :-)

Thanks

Come in BournFree, your time is up